How about a knife thread?

In your opinion are bread knives good for slicing briskets and ribs?

No clue. I've only used my bread knife for bread & my slicer for slicing large cuts. I've seen a serrated knife used for brisket though on a video once (the limit of my expertise in that dept)

I don't have a lot of nice knives, I have a Japanese chef knife, the slicer embedded above, a decent bread knife, and then the randoms I've picked up over the years. I'd like to get a nice chef's knife next.

Last edited:
No clue. I've only used my bread knife for bread & my slicer for slicing large cuts. I've seen a serrated knife used for brisket though on a video once (the limit of my expertise in that dept)

I don't have a lot of nice knives, I have a Japanese chef knife, the slicer embedded above, a decent bread knife, and then the randoms I've picked up over the years. I'd like to get a nice chef's knife next.

Thanks, i ended up pulling the trigger on that zen knife, so we'll see how it goes when it arrives. Hoping for the best!

So, how about a knife picture thread and your own personal rating. This would help all of us make better decisions on what our next tool (knife) should be
Old Hickory makes an excellent affordable "Pit Knives" here's my 14" Old Hickory just in time for the 2016 Clayton Rib Cook-off (KCBS "competitor series" event)

D08624E3-FA8B-4635-A649-DAE7674B9DB6_zpsk2oj1j6a.jpg

I picked up one of those "Old Hickory" breaking knives a while back, the handle is walnut not hickory like all my old ones and the shape is less than optimum. It was really cheap and I don't expect much out of it but, we shall see how it holds up. Planning on some fine tuning of the handle.

Are you entering!?
I plan to, but I may have to step up a flight out of town and that would make me miss the competition. I want to, Clayton is a beautiful part of the Bay Area, and the competition is a lot of fun

I picked up one of those "Old Hickory" breaking knives a while back, the handle is walnut not hickory like all my old ones and the shape is less than optimum. It was really cheap and I don't expect much out of it but, we shall see how it holds up. Planning on some fine tuning of the handle.
As far as the 14" goes, you can still get the hickory handle, it costs $32 or you can get the walnut handle (like mine) for $22 - Old Hickory knives are workhorse knives. You can abuse them something awful and long as you keep a little veggy oil on it, it will be a faithful knife. It holds an edge as good as the expensive knives, but you can do "stuff" with these that you would never do with an expensive knife

I have a Victorinox that is about 12" or so and is a great knife for breaking down large cuts of meat and would be next on my list if I needed a knife for serious work, it will flat out slice a brisket as thin as you want it,

I picked up one of the 12" Victorinox when a food service store was closing them out (rosewood handle) and a small utility size at the same time, I don't use it all the time but, when I need a big knife it's quite handy. I don't think I spent 20 bucks on the pair. I got a long serrated one at that place the next day for twelve bucks, long knives do make short work of bigger projects!
Chuck, SMKW didn't offer the hickory option, I don't mind the walnut. Handle shape is pretty rough, I need to take it down to my buddy's shop and reshape it some or, make a new set of scales for it. Unless I really screw it up making new seems excessive.

Last edited:

Back