How A Vegan Diet Could Affect Your Intelligence

I had eggs and smoked sausage for breakfast. :cool:

Seems to me, if nature did not mean for humans to eat meat, we would not have a taste for it.

I had eggs and smoked sausage for breakfast. :cool:

Seems to me, if nature did not mean for humans to eat meat, we would not have a taste for it.

Dr John McDougall (pretty sure it was him) brought this up in a video I watched a week or 3 ago. He said "walk through the meat department, look around, breathe it all in, and see how you feel. That's not your food - you can't eat it like that - you have to season it, salt it, & cook it before it's palatable"

raw-meat-2.jpg

(he had pictures of a big raw turkey & other meats). He said "doesn't that look good?" Now if I put that in front of my cat, they'd tear right into it because that's their food".

"Then walk through the produce department and try the same thing"

I tried to find the exact video but couldn't.

Here's an intro to him, I have several of his books/cookbooks. Obviously I'm not a vegetarian but I feel and perform my best on carbs. I'm out of shape right now, trying to dial myself back in.

......... snip................
The vegan diet is low in – or, in some cases, entirely devoid of – several important brain nutrients. Could these shortcomings be affecting vegans' abilities to think?

Duh................. that explains a lot. Some of my wife's business colleagues in the art field are vegans. They're all dumb as a box of rocks and have cognitive issues. <SNIP POLITICAL COMMENT> Somewhere in their possessions is a unicorn; painting, photograph, or statuette. <SNIP POLITICAL COMMENT> They are also often ill, many with a perpetual cold symptoms. They generally "don't feel well today". They don't have much of an appreciation for humor either. Recently I asked an Auburn University "What the "N" in Auburn stand for?" When I said "knowledge", she just stared at me.
(full disclosure: I attended University of Alabama )

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I'm not a vegetarian but I feel and perform my best on carbs.

I've heard some NFL players (about 30 years ago) say that they carbed up on game day for energy. I remember eating some Chinese noodles before a walk one day, and I had more stamina.

With that said, I'll listen in the doc more intently later on, but when he starts attacking fats (plant and animal), I'm not sure if I trust him.

Dr Richard Bernstein preaches the exact opposite. Dr Bernstein is a Type I diabetic, and a former engineer turned doctor. I have his Diabetes Solutions book.

It's not fair to show a photo of uncooked meat and then draw the conclusion that humans aren't meant to eat meat because uncooked meat doesn't appeal to us. Man's harnessing of fire for cooking dramatically changed the range of foods we were able to eat. Cooking breaks down plant and animal cells into something we can more easily chew, digest, and get nutritional value from. We also know that cooking creates aromas and flavor compounds that stimulate our appetite and increase our eating pleasure...not a bad thing.

Even the lowly potato mentioned in a video above...you can hardly digest an uncooked potato, but cook it and you unlock all of the nutritional value it has to offer. Cut it into shoestrings, deep fry it, and serve it sprinkled with salt and some ketchup on the side and you have something close to perfection. :D

An interesting article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...as-cooking-a-pivotal-step-in-human-evolution/

I've heard some NFL players (about 30 years ago) say that they carbed up on game day for energy. I remember eating some Chinese noodles before a walk one day, and I had more stamina.

With that said, I'll listen in the doc more intently later on, but when he starts attacking fats (plant and animal), I'm not sure if I trust him.

Dr Richard Bernstein preaches the exact opposite. Dr Bernstein is a Type I diabetic, and a former engineer turned doctor. I have his Diabetes Solutions book.

Looks to be another low carb diet? I've seen many people on the diet, some even medium term (2-3 years) with success. I wonder how it'll work out for them. To me it just doesn't make sense. I made a small attempt at atkins in 2003, did another that put me into ketosis a couple times over the years. Not sure what'll work best for me, still trying to figure it out.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/apr/eskimos.htm

It's not fair to show a photo of uncooked meat and then draw the conclusion that humans aren't meant to eat meat because uncooked meat doesn't appeal to us. Man's harnessing of fire for cooking dramatically changed the range of foods we were able to eat. Cooking breaks down plant and animal cells into something we can more easily chew, digest, and get nutritional value from. We also know that cooking creates aromas and flavor compounds that stimulate our appetite and increase our eating pleasure...not a bad thing.

Even the lowly potato mentioned in a video above...you can hardly digest an uncooked potato, but cook it and you unlock all of the nutritional value it has to offer. Cut it into shoestrings, deep fry it, and serve it sprinkled with salt and some ketchup on the side and you have something close to perfection. :D

An interesting article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...as-cooking-a-pivotal-step-in-human-evolution/

That's an interesting article, I've heard about the theory of brain size increasing about the same time as cooking with fire. I've read so much on this it's impossible to know what's right for sure, I'm just trying to gain traction & repeat past successes.

I tried the potato hack after listening to the audiobook, I noticed a definite change in energy & alertness - really felt good, I went 3 days the first time, 1 day the next. Just plain potatoes got OLD quick. I was laughing at myself with my friends, saying "this is what I think's a great idea". I wasn't feeling very smart at the time :)

I monitored my blood sugar more than normal while on the PH & it never went much over 130 or below ~85. I'm not diabetic but I've monitored it off & on since ~2008 just to see how I react to certain foods.

Back