House furnishings/appliances question.

negative idea IMO. too much moisture emanating from the cook top which decreases the life of the micro control panel. in addition, the hood fan that's built in will be an anemic 200 cfm up to 290 cfm. which basically moves no air and makes your house stinky if cooking something with oil or that's stinky.

i have and installed this one:

works perfectly, can be loud on highest setting, and has only sucked one small child out of the house (j/k).

easy to clean (toss the baffles in the dishwasher to clean them).
Worth looking at for sure. When we bought the house an over the range microwave blew air into the kitchen, freaking terrible. GE profile nice microwave though.

I'm lucky to have a double wall oven, and a separate microwave away from the cooktop. When there are more than one cook in the kitchen it allows someone to be at the stove (cooktop) and not be in the way of oven access or microwave access.

If I could not have a double wall oven, I think I'd go for a combination Oven / Microwave like this one.

1706216553112.png

edit: I'm not advocating for this model, just using it as an example.
edit2: Rich was asking about ovens in this thread: https://tvwbb.com/threads/built-in-oven-recommendations.96886/

Last edited:
I'm lucky to have a double wall oven, and a separate microwave away from the cooktop. When there are more than one cook in the kitchen it allows someone to be at the stove (cooktop) and not be in the way of oven access or microwave access.

If I could not have a double wall oven, I think I'd go for a combination Oven / Microwave like this one.

View attachment 85545

edit: I'm not advocating for this model, just using it as an example.
edit2: Rich was asking about ovens in this thread: https://tvwbb.com/threads/built-in-oven-recommendations.96886/
i have this one, with convection in the oven and microwave/convection (airfryer). excellent unit. very satisfied with it. much better than the old GE the builder included back in 2002 which lasted 16 years. the old GE micro died, and the oven stopped working and also started delaminating the porcelain finish. quite a junkbox when we pulled it out. and i am not a heavy oven user. i prefer to grill outdoors as much as i can.

Bosch is the only solid choice per many, many different review, owners and service techs. the Bosch 800 series ones are spectacular. i've owned and used Bosch DW's for many years now.
I had the 800 on order at Lowe’s, they had said “It’s in stock!” Then, as the original delivery date approached its was out of stock not expected for 12 weeks, which I claimed was unacceptable with much hemming and hawing I finally had someone say, “We DO have a 1500 in stock, would that be acceptable, no extra charge, deliverable next Thursday?”
Well, I may not be the brightest bulb in the markee but,Mrs. Lewis didn’t raise any idiots! This thing is the quietest running machine I’ve ever owned! If I ever need to replace it, I will get another Bosch!

I had the 800 on order at Lowe’s, they had said “It’s in stock!” Then, as the original delivery date approached its was out of stock not expected for 12 weeks, which I claimed was unacceptable with much hemming and hawing I finally had someone say, “We DO have a 1500 in stock, would that be acceptable, no extra charge, deliverable next Thursday?”
Well, I may not be the brightest bulb in the markee but,Mrs. Lewis didn’t raise any idiots! This thing is the quietest running machine I’ve ever owned! If I ever need to replace it, I will get another Bosch!
i installed this in 6/21: https://www.rcwilley.com/Appliances...Top-Control-Dishwasher---Stainless-Steel-View

2nd Bosch. the first one lasted a helluva long time and we wore it out. this 800 series is top shelf.

Being able to run the toaster, the microwave, the dishwasher, and the coffeepot all at the same time.
Some high powered lights, on dimmers.
Convenient access to some kind of chest freezer. Ours is in the dining room which is OK.
Hood over the range vented to outside as mentioned
Enough kitchen cabinets
Enough pantry space
Be wary of the enclosed refrigerator look. This severely restricts your options for your next fridge.
Get the graph paper or whatever to pre-plan where everything will go.
Create a focal point in each room
Lots of natural light
Add drop headers, half walls, or different flooring to help define different spaces
Continuous tile running from the door you use the most to kitchen
More lights and extra switches. Accent lights or pendants
The "boob lights" work like crazy, but are out of style
Kitchen counter tops do not need to all match. OK to do a solid wood island top or whatever.
If you have nice pots, a hanging pot rack is really convenient.

Attachments

• 20240204_035412.jpg
    20240204_035412.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240204_035439.jpg
    20240204_035439.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3
@Bruno

Not sure what your kitchen cooktop plans are, but if it is a drop in, here is a suggestion for the dead space under it. In mine the wood front panel was just mounted to the cabinet base.

20240209_174836.jpg

About 15 years ago I had a pull out drawer made. It's amazing what it holds.

The notch on the left was for the gas line of the previous cooktop, but kitchenaid moved it when I updated it so I had to cut the back right corner off. It's under a 36 inch cooktop and you can see how much extra storage is gained.

20240209_174818.jpg

@Bruno

Not sure what your kitchen cooktop plans are, but if it is a drop in, here is a suggestion for the dead space under it. In mine the wood front panel was just mounted to the cabinet base.

View attachment 86282

About 15 years ago I had a pull out drawer made. It's amazing what it holds.

The notch on the left was for the gas line of the previous cooktop, but kitchenaid moved it when I updated it so I had to cut the back right corner off. It's under a 36 inch cooktop and you can see how much extra storage is gained.

View attachment 86283
The rental we are in has that, lots of drawers actually and they are great!!

+1 on undercab lights. I have the ones that you can touch to turn on at the individual cabinet.

If you go LED, then the color temperature should be considered. Maybe its me but it annoys me to have a mix of warm and cool lights. finding a color temp that you like is key then get them all to match. I like 3000K. Its brighter white but not too harsh.

If you have recessed can lights that take a BR30/BR40 type bulb you might consider LED conversion kits like these. I replaced 65W bulbs with these that use 9W. They are dimmable and you can select the color temperature.

It is a simple conversion from a bulb to these replacing the trim ring and all.

View attachment 85509

( edited for clarity on a couple of items)
My house has a lot of canned lights and I've just about replaced all of them with these. They look great and are easy to install. The only thing I haven't noticed is a savings on my electric bill.

my kitchen has a built-in microwave in a cabinet with counter top below it.
Mine does too. The only problem is that when the microwave died that was in there I couldn't find another one that would fit the space unless I went with one that was much smaller. I'll look again when my current one dies. It was nice to have it in it's own spot and not taking up counter space.

My house has a lot of canned lights and I've just about replaced all of them with these. They look great and are easy to install. The only thing I haven't noticed is a savings on my electric bill.
My kitchen has nine can lights. 585w vs 81w.
500w difference. 2 hours a day is a KW hour every day.

I'm sure it helps.

My kitchen has nine can lights. 585w vs 81w.
500w difference. 2 hours a day is a KW hour every day.

I'm sure it helps.
I'm sure it doesn't hurt. I know I'll save money in the long run just not having to replace all those bulbs so often. I've been running most of those commercial electric ones for several years with no failures so far. The only strange thing is that they can fluctuate a lot in price at Home Depot so I have to wait sometimes to buy them. I think I have two or Three more to go in the basement.

Back