Built-in Oven Recommendations?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Would love to get some thoughts from the TVWBB collective. I'm doing some research into replacement ovens for the house. My current set-up is a 27" DCS double wall oven that was installed in 2003 when we remodeled our house. It has done everything we've asked of it in 20 years, but unfortunately, the inner glass on one of the doors shattered recently, and parts are (thus far) unavailable.

I'm limited to 27" options due to my existing cabinet setup. I need a double oven to provide the capacity for bread production that I need. Conventional bake mode is a requirement (and, oddly, seems to not be available on every oven anymore!)

My current list of brands that fit the bill are:
  • KitchenAid
  • GE
  • Bosch
  • JennAir
  • Viking
It seems that many of the "premium/luxury" brands (Wolf, Thermador, Dacor, Gaggeneau, Miele) do not make a 27" oven anymore.....they have moved to 30".

I'd love to get any input from all of you as to ovens you have used that you like (or don't like), and/or brands that you like/don't like, especially ones that I have not listed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!!

Rich

Last edited:
I have and love this. Cooks perfectly and has solid feature set. They make this in double 27” without the microwave.

27” link is here:

JennAir is higher level KA line. Same company.

GE is Haier. Chinese owned. Look at Cafe too if they make a 27”. Cafe is higher end GE, above Profile GE brand.

Bosch and Thermador are the same company.

IMO, you’re not getting any better features from any “professional” named brands. I replaced my oven to this KA when the original GE died.

I have and love this. Cooks perfectly and has solid feature set. They make this in double 27” without the microwave.

27” link is here:

JennAir is higher level KA line. Same company.

GE is Haier. Chinese owned. Look at Cafe too if they make a 27”. Cafe is higher end GE, above Profile GE brand.

Bosch and Thermador are the same company.

IMO, you’re not getting any better features from any “professional” named brands. I replaced my oven to this KA when the original GE died.
Thanks, Brett, appreciate the input! Yeah, many/most of these brands are owned by someone.....I think KA and JennAir are both owned by Whirlpool, Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux, etc., etc. Features are pretty similar across the board, my biggest concerns are longevity, customer service and parts/service availability. GE seems to get slightly higher marks in those categories than KA/Whirlpool.

We'll see.....I will get tired of half capacity for the bread business pretty fast!

R

Thanks, Brett, appreciate the input! Yeah, many/most of these brands are owned by someone.....I think KA and JennAir are both owned by Whirlpool, Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux, etc., etc. Features are pretty similar across the board, my biggest concerns are longevity, customer service and parts/service availability. GE seems to get slightly higher marks in those categories than KA/Whirlpool.

We'll see.....I will get tired of half capacity for the bread business pretty fast!

R
here's the market decoded by ownership:

R
for parts availability, i'd recco KA/Whirlpool/JennAir or any of the GE lines GE/Profile/Cafe.

our new home will have Cafe range, built in oven/micro and dishwasher. the reviews i read were fine. but we will see. i am very partial to Bosch DWs as my ownership experience has been spectacular. and my KA oven and cooktop have been great to date. i am not a fan of GE regular line of products as I am too hard on some things. i killed my GE products in less than 16 years (oven and mwave). the GE dishwasher was a fire hazard (recall) so i put in Bosch instead.

for parts availability, i'd recco KA/Whirlpool/JennAir or any of the GE lines GE/Profile/Cafe.

our new home will have Cafe range, built in oven/micro and dishwasher. the reviews i read were fine. but we will see. i am very partial to Bosch DWs as my ownership experience has been spectacular. and my KA oven and cooktop have been great to date. i am not a fan of GE regular line of products as I am too hard on some things. i killed my GE products in less than 16 years (oven and mwave). the GE dishwasher was a fire hazard (recall) so i put in Bosch instead.
Yeah, that's where I'm at right now.....KA or GE. I have a KA fridge that we put in at the same time 20 years ago, and it's still working just fine. Our KA DW is ok, but takes FOREVER to do a load of dishes. We have had Bosch DW's before, they did not work out well for us. I have not read good things about the Bosch ovens.

Unfortunately, the GE Profile and Cafe ovens are backordered, so looking like Feb delivery, and I can't wait that long. So, it's going to either be KA or the "regular" GE (which is the same oven, just doesn't have Air Fry and one less roller rack......which I don't care about.)

R

Yeah, that's where I'm at right now.....KA or GE. I have a KA fridge that we put in at the same time 20 years ago, and it's still working just fine. Our KA DW is ok, but takes FOREVER to do a load of dishes. We have had Bosch DW's before, they did not work out well for us. I have not read good things about the Bosch ovens.

Unfortunately, the GE Profile and Cafe ovens are backordered, so looking like Feb delivery, and I can't wait that long. So, it's going to either be KA or the "regular" GE (which is the same oven, just doesn't have Air Fry and one less roller rack......which I don't care about.)

R
sign up for KA email list and website. they do offer manufacturer direct pricing, discounted, and will deliver to your door. that's how i ordered my 36" cooktop. delivery was flawless. and price and availability beat everything in the retail channel at that time.

Rich, I find it interesting that the inner glass shattered on your oven. The same thing happened to my GE double wall oven. The replacement part was very expensive but available. I ended up finding a used one on eBay for quite a bit less. I have also found other replacement parts for various appliances on eBay at good prices, sometimes used parts or aftermarket. So my recommendation is not for a new oven, but rather to search eBay for the part you need first.

Know that GE is no longer in appliance business and another company in China makes them Haier and puts the GE name on it

Rich, I find it interesting that the inner glass shattered on your oven. The same thing happened to my GE double wall oven. The replacement part was very expensive but available. I ended up finding a used one on eBay for quite a bit less. I have also found other replacement parts for various appliances on eBay at good prices, sometimes used parts or aftermarket. So my recommendation is not for a new oven, but rather to search eBay for the part you need first.
Very good advice, Steve, and I have been scouring everywhere (including eBay) for someone who has what I need. The challenge is that my oven is 20 years old, I bought a floor model because they were discontinuing it, and the company has been bought/sold twice. Oh, and they weren't the most popular brand at the time, so it's a bit like hunting for a needle in a stack of needles! :)

I'll keep looking!!

R

Know that GE is no longer in appliance business and another company in China makes them Haier and puts the GE name on it
Yep, this is true. Of course, I have a small Haier wine fridge, and used to have a Haier kegerator.....both worked flawlessly, so there's that! :)

Thanks, Larry.

R

I beg to differ on that point. Dad bought a GE gas range, and it was clearly labeled that it was made there. Understand, not saying it as a "bad" thing. Actually it was me who recommended that range. It was simply a point of conversation

My next oven will hold at 150 F just like my current JennAir. That's my #1 priority. 140 F would be even better. It would be electric, self-cleaning, and it would have a gas range.

Good luck

Would love to get some thoughts from the TVWBB collective. I'm doing some research into replacement ovens for the house. My current set-up is a 27" DCS double wall oven that was installed in 2003 when we remodeled our house. It has done everything we've asked of it in 20 years, but unfortunately, the inner glass on one of the doors shattered recently, and parts are (thus far) unavailable.

I'm limited to 27" options due to my existing cabinet setup. I need a double oven to provide the capacity for bread production that I need. Conventional bake mode is a requirement (and, oddly, seems to not be available on every oven anymore!)

My current list of brands that fit the bill are:
  • KitchenAid
  • GE
  • Bosch
  • JennAir
  • Viking
It seems that many of the "premium/luxury" brands (Wolf, Thermador, Dacor, Gaggeneau, Miele) do not make a 27" oven anymore.....they have moved to 30".

I'd love to get any input from all of you as to ovens you have used that you like (or don't like), and/or brands that you like/don't like, especially ones that I have not listed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!!

Rich
The older pre Fisher-Paykel DCS stuff was/is rock solid. Parts availability is a great challenge though. We have a DCS 30" range in our beach house. It's truly a commercial grade gas stove but parts except for somewhat generic ones are nearly impossible to obtain.
I had to replace one oven door hinge a few years ago...I found one but I believe I paid $100 for it.

The older pre Fisher-Paykel DCS stuff was/is rock solid. Parts availability is a great challenge though. We have a DCS 30" range in our beach house. It's truly a commercial grade gas stove but parts except for somewhat generic ones are nearly impossible to obtain.
I had to replace one oven door hinge a few years ago...I found one but I believe I paid $100 for it.
I'd have to agree, Jay, after 20 years of trouble-free performance. If I hadn't started my bakery, I suspect it would last much longer! I'm still hopeful I can find the replacement glass, but also won't be surprised if I don't. I can't remember if Fisher Paykel was on Brett's list, but they are also owned by Haier (as is GE), so two sales of DCS as a sub!

R

Back