Hot rod yellow lid issue

A few washers are never a bad thing to have around, I’d get a dozen! Of course, I will get a dozen use two and then can’t find them when I need one more! My Father used to swear that someone had trained pigeons to go and find all the remaining ten rubber hose washers after someone opened a package and take them back to the source for repackaging! Sometimes I think he was right. Well, he was more often than I realized!

Thanks, John. Will the washers be added to all kettles?

I have not yet installed the handle on my new black lid, so I wonder if a couple soft stainless washers would be cheap insurance.
Adding them to all kettles is something that's being looked at, but I can't say much beyond that at the moment.
On a black kettle, they are less useful than on a color kettle. This is because you don't have an enamel stacking situation between two layers of enamel like you do on color kettles (which have a black layer of enamel applied and then a color layer applied on top. You wouldn't be likely to do any harm though if you wanted to add some SS washers to your black kettle, so if you want that extra insurance I say go for it.

The washers are indeed intended to provide additional protection to the enamel at the lid handle attachment points. While it may seem counterintuitive, our extensive testing demonstrated that stainless steel washers provided greater protection than fiber washers. They are meant to be installed on the exterior of the kettle lid, between the lid and the lid handle. Enamel chipping at the lid handle attachment points is not unique to 70th Anniversary Edition Kettles, and while relatively rare, can happen to any color enameled kettle. More often than not, it happens if the lid handle is overtightened when installing it, but on occasion it happens due to other factors. We (Weber) have your back if this occurs, provided the kettle is under warranty (10 years on lids) and you're the original owner of the kettle. #IworkforWeber
John I just bought mine in June. Would I have received the washers in the kit or would it be dependent on when mine were manufactured.

John I just bought mine in June. Would I have received the washers in the kit or would it be dependent on when mine were manufactured.
If you bought a 70th Kettle in June you probably should have received them, but there could be a few early units that slipped out without them.

Back