Honey hoisin riblets

G Rose

TVWBB Member
So I am making an appatizer for thanksgiving it is honey hoisin riblets. I bought three racks of baby backs and split them into three down the middle. I rubbed them with salt demera sugar and chinese five spice. I am smoking them with apple wood. My plan is to smoke at 250 for two hours then sauce with one part honey two parts hoisin, foil and cook for another hour. rest cut into individual pieces chill. tomorrow reheat and crisp in gasser in aluminum pan does the timing seem right? I mean if they are not tender i'll leave em on, but am I in the right ball park?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Rose:
I bought three racks of baby backs and split them into three down the middle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's clever, I only end up with halves if I cut it down the middle, how do you manage to do it?

2:1 smoked and foiled is really a little low I would think, if they are meaty baby backs, lots of folks use either a 3:2:1 or a 2:1:1, I often split the difference and do 2.5:1:1 which as a 4.5 hour cook is normally long enough, if they aren't quite done another 20 - 30 minutes will usually finish them well.

If you intend to cook them on for an hour in the aluminum pan, then finish them on the gasser it would be similar, but not the same as cooking them on an hour after you un-foil them, as you are bringing them from chilled for an hours cook, instead of continuing the higher temp that they would have been at had you not stopped early.

If you're maintaining 250° at the grate, I think the 2:1 sounds about right, for what you're trying to do overall. Can't talk about time in foil without considering cooking temp, as well.

Honey-hoisin is too thick to work well in the foil if the effort is to add a braising phase. If it's not too late, use chicken stock or a fruit juice or a 50-50 blend of each (my preference) plus a T or two of the hoisin. When you reheat get them hot then baste with the honey-hoisin mix. That will, imo, give you the best of both worlds.

Back