Homemade steak sauce recipe wins blind tasting

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
My wife and I hosted a small gathering of like minded steak aficionados for a tasting a week ago.... I grilled some wonderful choice cut top sirloins I cut from a whole loin about 2" thick and seasoned with salt. No pictures of the cook, but what we also wanted to do was taste test a variety of steak sauces to see what people liked. We did a blind tasting, but I pretty much knew which was which based on the colors and textures of the sauces.

Those we tasted were:

A-1
Heinz 57
Kozlowski Farms Steak Sauce (relatives of my wife)
Homemade - from Cook's Country

Of the eight of us, here were the results

Homemade - 4 1st place, 2 2nd place, 2 3rd place
Heinz 57 - 2 1st place, 3 2nd place, 1 3rd place, 2 4th place
Kozlowski - 1 1st place, 2 2nd place, 3 3rd place, 2 4th place
A-1 - 1 1st place, 1 2nd place, 2 3rd place, 4 4th place

Personally, I found the homemade version to be the brightest flavor - very tangy and flavorful. Heinz 57 was second place for me and the other two not nearly as good.

The recipe for the homemade version is unusual in that it uses raisins. But the flavor is really good. If you want to try it yourself, here's the recipe.

Makes 1 1/4 cups

Raisins may seem unusual, but they add depth and sweetness.

Ingredients

1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Salt and pepper

Instructions

Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil - pyrex bowl in a microwave works very well. Add the raisins and let sit, covered, until raisins are plump, about 5 minutes.

Puree raisin mixture, ketchup, Worcestershire, mustard, and vinegar in blender until smooth.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Sauce can be refrigerated in airtight container for 1 week.)

I would think it would last more than a week. With the exception of raisins (which last quite a while on the shelf anyways), everything else already has manufacturer-added preservatives in it. Raisins are a common ingredient in these types of sauces.

Looks good in any case.

Back