HomeDepot guy told me I can use a metal drill for hole in my WSM.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was over at the HomeDepot today, their step-up drill is $95, - I may have mentioned this before, but I saw it again today and it made me go over and ask the guy working in that section about those drills, and what I *could* use instead of that.

He showed me a very nice DeWalt brand drill for metal and wood, - cost $19.99 - he said because of the way the tip is made, it will drill a perfectly round hole, whereas cheaper drills that don't have this special point or whatever they call it, will make an oval instead, and kind of rip the metal instead of drilling it.

I told him what it was for ( to drill into the top of a BBQ cover )
and he said this drill should do the trick.

I am wondering if anyone out there in BBQ land has ever used a fized-sized drill to make the hole that will be for the thermometer, and if so
I would really appreciate your results.

I want a nice thermometer in my WSM, but buying a stepup drill I'm going to use one time at that price is out of the question for me.

anyway thanks in advance
Mark

Hi Howard,

I don't know what you mean, but I'll try to explain it.... the drill looks very high quality, it's a DeWalt brand, so I know it's not junk...

It looks like a regular drill just looking at it, but the tip of it has a VERY pointy point sticking out of the middle, and the guy assures me that this will create a perfectly round circle IN METAL he says......

does that help ? hope I explained it ok.
Mark

OK, yeah, I know what you mean now. I've seen those but never used one.

By hole saw I meant the ones like you would use to drill a door for a lockset. They are as small as 3/4". I thought maybe it was one of those.

Let us know if he told you the truth.

Sure, you can use any drill bit you want that will cut through metal cleanly and make the required 7/8" hole.

The UniBit is a good tool and has a myriad of uses besides drilling Bullets, but for $95, I think I'd select the DeWalt bit. too!

Regards,
Chris

If it makes any difference to you at all, I just used the carbide drill bit that I happened to have on hand, and, seeing as how I now have a therm mounted in my WSM, I guess it musta worked!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Don't sweat it. Use a good drill bit (sounds like the one from Home Depot will work, though pricey still for a single bit), make sure you put masking tape on both sides of the dome where you plan to drill (keeps the porcelain from chipping) and have at it. You'll be measuring dome or grill level temps in no time at all!

Rich G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back