Home Made Potato Chips

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
So simple and tasty.

Equipment you'll need:

-a way to slice the spuds thinly (I use a mandoline on the thin slice).
-microwave
-one dinner sized microwave-safe plate

Ingredients:
-1 potato
-1 T oil--olive, sunflower, etc (your choice)
-salt
-or any other spice you like

Slice the potato as thin as you can (I use a mandoline on the the thin blade--would like it thinner but this works just fine too).

Put the sliced spuds into a largish plastic container with a lid (can also use a plastic bag).

Add the oil.

Shake it up to coat thoroughly.

Lightly coat a microwave-safe dinner plate with Pam (or oil).

Place one layer of slices on the plate. Try not to let the edges touch as they will stick together when cooked.

Microwave it on high for 3-5 minutes. No need to flip the slices mid-cook.

START WATCHING THEM AT 3 MINUTES to make sure they don't get too dark.

The slices HAVE to turn light brown to get them crispy BUT DON'T LET THEM GET DARK BROWN/BURNT!

Some will brown faster than others near the finish time. Some darker brown ones are ok as long as the vast majority just have a light/medium colour.

Remove the plate when done (it'll be somewhat hot so be careful). Salt them once while still on the plate then remove/flip to the other side on another plate and salt again. This is also the time to use any other spices you like (garlic, onion, etc) instead of/in addition to the salt.

Put the second batch of oiled spuds on the hot plate and repeat. You won't have to re-oil the "cooking" plate till maybe the last batch.

You'll be finished munching on the first batch
icon_smile.gif
when the second batch is close to being done.

The whole exercise will take approximately 20 minutes depending on the size of your potato.

Considering one spud weighs what, 150 gm or so, figure out how many spuds actually go into ONE store-bought bag of chips. Maybe 1.

They smell fantastic and are oh so good.

Remember, not too dark but they do have to be lightly browned.

Thanks for the pic Bob. They look perfect.

I've found one for home made XXXXX and have yet to try it.

Back