Home from holidays today…must cook better food

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Missed good food while away…….
Got the chance to slip by my international store on the way home……
Made a true verde today…..also steak that really doesn’t go with with our steak tacos but here we go.
Have 2 well marbled strips, not too thick….made a verde just a bit a go…..
Wife is having burrito bowl, I am going for 2 thinner burritos tonight…..not this fast food 5 pounder you can find.
Beef is marinating, beans, rice and others to come.
Got poblano, Serranos, jalapeños, tasty tomatillos…….it’s spicier than I thought.
Going to crisp up the burritos in a pan after they are rolled…….
Pics so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Missed good food while away…….
Got the chance to slip by my international store on the way home……
Made a true verde today…..also steak that really doesn’t go with with our steak tacos but here we go.
Have 2 well marbled strips, not too thick….made a verde just a bit a go…..
Wife is having burrito bowl, I am going for 2 thinner burritos tonight…..not this fast food 5 pounder you can find.
Beef is marinating, beans, rice and others to come.
Got poblano, Serranos, jalapeños, tasty tomatillos…….it’s spicier than I thought.
Going to crisp up the burritos in a pan after they are rolled…….
Pics so far.
More spicy due to the amount of added Serrano peppers. Good job!

Not many shots, steak came out as expected, sliced very thin and very tender…..
Beans, rice, cheese wrapped up with sour crème and salsa for dippin.
Was good to get some standard grub back in the food hole finally.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 12
Since we go to the cottage for vacation the food quality doesn’t suffer a lot, I still cook but, up there, I only wash the cast iron and my knives. Anyone else gets the cleanup duty except for my breakfast, I generally Make poached eggs and toast for my grandson but, he sleeps in late on vacation. Everyone else has to fend for themselves.

To keep up with good eats last night I put together some tasty treats….no grill however….thought I may share as I don’t get this fish very often, it’s hard to find.
Made some roasted potatoes, fresh corn cut off the cob, it just came into season, less than a week ago and some arctic char.
Potatoes just roasted to soft, nothing special…..corn was pan fried with lots of butter, salt n pepper……I miss this taste so much…..and the arctic char was pan fried…..
Seasoned and started with oil, after about 5 minutes I added butter….lots….. and capers, thyme, also just in season fresh garlic and a teenie bit of squeezed lemon. Cooked to a medium rare, spooned the butter sauce over the fish…….great flavours and all the fat was still in it….this was a treat.
If you have never had the opportunity to eat arctic char you should….look it up and read why, it’s my favourite cold water fish.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes, char is delicious! I’m looking forward to some fresh Lake Huron whitefish next week! And Lake Superior whitefish while watching “Thousand Footers” locking through from the St. Mary’s river into (or out of) Lake Superior. Lunch at the ”Lockview” cafe.

Yes, char is delicious! I’m looking forward to some fresh Lake Huron whitefish next week! And Lake Superior whitefish while watching “Thousand Footers” locking through from the St. Mary’s river into (or out of) Lake Superior. Lunch at the ”Lockview” cafe.
Nice that is my area sort of....Huron is about an hour and a bit away from me.....
What kind of white fish are you after like lake trout?
There are some good options, I look to get pickerel when I can....maybe you guys call them walleye......

Yeah walleye is pretty amazing (crushed ritz crackers and fried in butter)!
Now, as for whitefish, I want whitefish, not trout, not lake perch(which I DO adore) but, whitefish.
I will make a little glaze with orange zest whatever seasoning I find in my kitchen box, butter, a little scallion. indirect method for maybe 15-18 minutes, leave the skin behind and eat like there’s no tomorrow!
This was last year, I wasn’t feeling very well so, I apologize for the picture quality!
IMG_0321.jpegIMG_0323.jpeg

Back