HM version 4 Rpi 3d print case

Got my case, and should have went with a different material than sandstone.......all 4 clips broke off and the feel of it reminds me of a mold made of sugar. I'll still use it, but everyone else be warned that the cheaper sandstone material is not worth it....also, anyone in Canada be warned there is about $20.00 duty on the case.

Alan, I fixed the post in the bottom .stl file. It was exactly 3 mm off. I am going to wait on any adjustments to the other things you mentioned until I hear back from others that have the case. I suspect that there will be minor variations based on how things get soldered together and I may end up just having to increase the size of certain openings to accommodate the variation. The files have been updated in the first post.

Yeah, I figure that out. I was trying to use their maker print out thing and it wanted parameters. I do find it annoying that you have to sign into their website to save-as. I got it going though.

Back on topic. Is there room in the case to create stand offs so that you can screw the top and bottom together, or is the fit so tight that there is not room for this? I personally don't like the tabs because I always break them off.

thanks,
dave

There weren't any settings that I had to adjust, I just clicked "save as" and selected .stl

As the case currently stands, there is probably only room to do one set of opposed stand offs for a screw. The case will have to be expanded if you wanted a sufficient number of stand offs to be placed.

You're right, there's probably not enough space for the proper number of attachment points.

However, if one was really clever they could put two standoffs on the top of the case above the holes in the HeaterMeter PCB then match those up with a hollow post on the bottom side through which a screw could be threaded. The original idea for those holes was that you could glue standoffs to a lid and then attach M3 screws through the HeaterMeter board to secure it, but I don't see any reason someone couldn't use them to attach the top to the bottom.

You're right, there's probably not enough space for the proper number of attachment points.

However, if one was really clever they could put two standoffs on the top of the case above the holes in the HeaterMeter PCB then match those up with a hollow post on the bottom side through which a screw could be threaded. The original idea for those holes was that you could glue standoffs to a lid and then attach M3 screws through the HeaterMeter board to secure it, but I don't see any reason someone couldn't use them to attach the top to the bottom.

Are you saying I'm not clever? :D

Has anyone found a lower-cost alternative to shapeways?
They are quoting $75 now w/ tax for White Strong & Flex and $90 for black.

thanks,
Eric

Just got a notice from UPS that Shapeway is/has shipped my order. I'll post picts of the royal blue case when it arrives. I'll also get two of the butter fly valves to play with.

dave

How is the unit your building coming along Tom?

I have not had a chance to mess with it. I was in Austin for a few days for a festival, and before that we had the Storm.

Dimension 768 Series is the 3d printer that the school has. Looks just like the picture I posted but glad I got the model number now. Hopefully it is easy to get going. I'm going to pick up the manual tomorrow to read up on it a bit. If I can get it working and have no problems with it then maybe I can make a few for the regulars here. We may have to buy some of the materials but I wouldn't charge any labor. I have no clue what the cartridges cost. I'll report back once I'm sure it will do what we need it to do.

It's all put together and I am currently in the calibration phase. I'm hoping to try and print a case soon. I'm interested to see how your machine turns out.

Tom
Which reprap model are you building and do you mind if I ask where you are sourcing your parts?
Thinking about building the Prusa Mendel

I built a Prusa Mendel iteration 2. I purchased the printed parts through eBay, the hardware through McMaster-Carr, the electronics through eBay, the extruder through a new startup company, the heated bed pcb through eBay, and the nema 17 steppers through an online store. If you want specifics, pm me your email and I can send you links. I found a great PDF after I finished that actually details all of the assembly with pics. Would have been nice to have in the beginning.

I built a Prusa Mendel iteration 2. I purchased the printed parts through eBay, the hardware through McMaster-Carr, the electronics through eBay, the extruder through a new startup company, the heated bed pcb through eBay, and the nema 17 steppers through an online store. If you want specifics, pm me your email and I can send you links. I found a great PDF after I finished that actually details all of the assembly with pics. Would have been nice to have in the beginning.

What do you think your total investment is in the parts?

Back