HM v4.1 3D printed case

If your print area is big enough you can print them side by side. A Replicator 2X should have a big enough area. At least my knock off of a Replicator 2 does.

The files you get from here should be STL files in which you don't have to do anything to them.

Last edited:
The MakerBot Replicator 2X does pretty small layer heights. The "low" resolution is 0.3mm, "medium" is 0.2mm, and "high" is 0.1mm. Low is almost certainly fine, as the case doesn't have any fine details or anything.

A v4.1 top with 25% infill, 2 shells, 3 solid layers is 37 grams and the bottom is 42 grams, in ABS. Hey looks like Matt and I are ABS buddies.

As Bryan stated, low will be fine for the case. I don't recommend going to layer heights >0.3 mm because things start to look like the stay-puff marshmallow man.

Alex, I also forgot to mention. If you want I can shave a little bit more off of the bottom by shortening the case about 4.5 mm and removing the key hole mounts like we are doing in the new 4.24 case. I'm not sure if you wanted to use those mounts but I can have that for you tonight if you are interested.

I go ABS sometimes, PLA others. I'm amphibious (HM case for just the cost of shipping to the first person that points out the reference)

Charles Shackleford is sometimes remembered for telling a reporter after an NC State basketball game that “I can shoot with my left hand, I can shoot with my right hand, I’m amphibious.”

Tom that would be great if you could do that. I wouldn´t use the keyholes anyway. So I guess with PLA it will be around 80gram, I can afford that I guess ;-) Today the package from OSHPark arrived and I got my first one up and running. So maybe tomorrow I can try to start a case print. But I guess nobody would want to work during the soccer game between germany and the US.

Is there a file of the logo around somewhere. I have a dual extruding printer and the andriod/smoker printed on the board would make a nice inset on the face

Is there a file of the logo around somewhere. I have a dual extruding printer and the andriod/smoker printed on the board would make a nice inset on the face

If you are talking about the Robot logo. Bryan, just sent me a 4 inch pic of it, if you PM me with your Email, I'll send ya a copy

Edited: or I guess I could just post it here

5dvtkl.png

Last edited:
Hey all,

I finally finished my Reprap a couple of weeks ago! This might explain my complete absence from using my HeaterMeter for anything productive.

I've now begun the life-long process of fiddling with calibration and printing knickknacks, but felt comfortable enough last night to attempt an HM top case. It's the biggest thing I've printed so far and I didn't do too badly. About halfway through though, three corners lifted off the bed so it's slightly warped. Still straight enough to be useable though!

Too bad I printed the 4.0 case and have a 4.1 board.

So now I found this thread and the 4.1 files, but can someone tell me what the keyholes are and whether or not I want them?

The keyholes are the two holes in the back plate / bottom that you can put a screw in to mount it (hang it on a screw head). Google "keyhole mount" and you'll see the hole shape.

Last edited:
The keyhole version is a remnant from earlier designs where people wanted to have the ability to mount the case. It ended up adding a considerable amount of thickness to the case and went mostly unused so it has been abandoned.

Tom, Are the 4.1 files still available? The links form the top of this thread are either restricted or (I think Matt's drive) replaced with other software.

After another multi-month layoff, I'm finally getting my printer tuned up pretty well. I printed the 4.1 bottom last night, but discovered I didn't get the 4.1 top previously.

Thanks!

Back