Hiya from Highland Park, IL

RobS IL

Hi Everyone,

Long-time lurker, second-time poster (see WSM day thread for first post). My name is Robert and I live in a north shore suburb of the Chicagoland area. 3 years ago the company I worked for gave everyone an opportunity (and a little seed money) to follow a passion project. I was really torn between home brewing and bbqing, so I didn't choose and ended up learning both. Well, not that I don't love drinking beer, I found the process of brewing it overwhelming for our house (no utility sink, limited storage, too much beer for me to drink it all on my own). Smoking on the other hand... wow, the bug bit me.

To get started, after much internal debate and discussion with friends in the know, I went ahead with an 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain. By the power of the google search engine, I found this website with all of its amazing resources, tutorials and recipes. From my first smoke to today, I've learned a lot in the process and can't thank all of you enough for the help. Some things were trial and error for me--but that's ok, that's how you learn. Such as, low and slow turkey with a water pan is gonna give you really rubbery skin--but you all knew that!

I mostly stick to beef and poultry since that's what my circle of family and friends generally eats. 3 years later I've still never smoked a pork butt and over memorial day weekend this year was the first time I did baby back ribs. They were definitely tasty! I love the endurance of doing an overnight packer brisket and the simplicity of beef ribs. When I want a little extra flavor I love doing hot and fast 1/2 chickens or wings. I haven't modded my WSM or added one of those fans that maintain temp. Those are really slick and eventually I'll probably get there. But as I'm still learning, I kind of like the process of futzing with the vents to maintain the temps. It keeps me closer to the food and fills me with pride at the effort I put into it. The love you put into the food always comes through.

Wish we weren't in this pandemic so I could invite friends and family over to enjoy the food, but maybe next summer!

Peace, love and BBQ
Rob

IMG_2785.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, thanks Joan. The beef ribs above were a touch over, but still juicy and delicious. Definitely did a better cook on the baby backs.

Welcome to the forum Rob!
I built some condos in your area back in the day. Nice town, close to the lake.

Tim

Thanks Tim, we are on the north end...closer to Highwood. Never thought I’d see myself moving out of the city, but really love it here!

Back