Hitting http://openwrt.local/

Adam Becker

Anyone know why I can hit http://openwrt.local/ from a PC but not from my phone's browser? My phone is definitely connected to the same wifi network as HM is, and I can get to LinkMeter using the IP address. Same when using Pit Droid.

Thanks!

I was having a related problem with my 3d printer. This is what I found in their FAQ:

I can't reach my OctoPi under octopi.local under Windows, why?
That .local part makes it a special address. Linux and MacOS already know how to understand it, Windows needs a little extra help.

You'll have to download the Bonjour Print Services for Windows and install them. Then make sure your Windows Firewall allows Traffic on UDP Port 5353 and grant internet access to the mDNSresponder.exe (part of the Bonjour support you just installed).

Note: This will only work if you home LAN is not set up to use .local as it's own LAN specific top level domain. This should usually not be the case, but if it is and you can't get your home LAN setup differently (e.g. by switching to .lan) you'll need to access your OctoPi instance by its IP address, sorry.

openwrt.local should only work if you're on the HeaterMeter access point, not if you've got it connected to your local wifi. The reason it works is that all the wireless data has to be going through the HeaterMeter, which knows that it is "openwrt.local". This may only work reliably until you set it up as a client for the first time, I've never tried it.

I just always go to http://heatermeter.com/devices/ because lord knows what can go wrong with hostname resolution.

Well, openwrt.local does work on my local wifi for PCs and Apple devices. But apparently Android devices are unable to resolve .local hostnames, based on some googlings. Because they don't support mDNS or something beyond my networking knowledge.

I guess I'll just assign it a static IP and bookmark that.

I guess the other thing I meant to ask... I've never had my device show up at http://heatermeter.com/devices/. It's certainly spent plenty of time on a network with internet access. Is there a way I could go about troubleshooting why not?
First verify your HeaterMeter has internet access. Go to Network -> Diagnostics. Put heatermeter.com in the ping box and hit the button. You should see a positive result in a few seconds.

Next make sure you're coming from the same network your HeaterMeter would. This means both coming out of the same router to the heatermeter.com server. It compares the external IP address of your request with a list of external IPs that have HeaterMeters. That means you can't be on 4G or something on your phone and see HeaterMeter on your local network because the 4G network is a different place, so be on the same WiFi as the HeaterMeter helps.

If you still have nothing, let me know what the external IP of your router is (the DHCP address it gets from your ISP) and I can see if I can find your devices in the database and we can work our way backward to find out why you can't see them.

First verify your HeaterMeter has internet access. Go to Network -> Diagnostics. Put heatermeter.com in the ping box and hit the button. You should see a positive result in a few seconds.

Next make sure you're coming from the same network your HeaterMeter would. This means both coming out of the same router to the heatermeter.com server. It compares the external IP address of your request with a list of external IPs that have HeaterMeters. That means you can't be on 4G or something on your phone and see HeaterMeter on your local network because the 4G network is a different place, so be on the same WiFi as the HeaterMeter helps.

If you still have nothing, let me know what the external IP of your router is (the DHCP address it gets from your ISP) and I can see if I can find your devices in the database and we can work our way backward to find out why you can't see them.

The ping works. And I'm sure both my PC and HeaterMeter are connected to the same network, I only have one wireless router. And I have verified that they are both on the same subnet with the same gateway. Right now my external IP is 69.180.163.102.

Thanks for the info, Adam, I appreciate you providing the details because it seems there's some sort of problem in the HeaterMeter Device Registration and hopefully we can figure out what it is and it will benefit everyone. I do see in the web server logs you coming in and hitting the /device/ page from your web browser, but do not see any HeaterMeter POSTing their internal IP address list from your network.

The only thing I can see reviewing the code is that the hostname could maybe have a character we don't like in it? That's the only user data that is included in the POST. Did you name your HeaterMeter?

You seem to know your stuff networking-wise, are you familiar with SSH? If so, ssh into the device as root@x.x.x.x with the web login password. Type:
Code:
curl http://heatermeter.com/devices/
See if you get a dump of HTML or there is some sort of helpful error message. If that all works I'm afraid I'd have to get into your system myself to put debugging info in.

No problem, it's not a big deal for me whether it works or not, but I'm happy to help figure it out (and the engineer in me doesn't like when things that are supposed to work don't).

I gave the HeaterMeter the hostname 'HeaterMeter'. I only did that so that I could see it in my router's address table when trying to see what its address was. I've since assigned it a reserved address in the router so it's always the same.

I was not really familiar with SSH but I think I figured it out. I downloaded PuTTY and got logged in to the HeaterMeter. Then I typed the command you gave, and got back:

-ash: curl: not found

Here's the whole thing:

login as: root
root@192.168.0.225's password:

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2013-10-07 11:15:17 EDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______ ________ __
| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -__| || | | || _|| _|
|_______|| __|_____|__|__||________||__| |____|
|__| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (Attitude Adjustment, r36422)
* 1/4 oz Vodka Pour all ingredients into mixing
* 1/4 oz Gin tin with ice, strain into glass.
* 1/4 oz Amaretto
* 1/4 oz Triple sec
* 1/4 oz Peach schnapps
* 1/4 oz Sour mix
* 1 splash Cranberry juice
root@OpenWrt:~# curl http://heatermeter.com/devices/
-ash: curl: not found

Back