Himalayan salt blocks?

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
Over the weekend my wife and I visited a kitchen supply store and the sales lady showed us a himalayan salt block. She insisted that it was the newest fad and greatly improved the taste of any grilled items. It was expensive ($39) and I did not buy it.

When we got home my wife remembered that she had two of the blocks that she had purchased years ago for "alternative health" reasons (don't go there. Ha!)

I went to the web and learned a bit about how to use them (such as heat slowly, do not put wet stones on grill, etc). Anyway, last night I grilled shrimp and red peppers. Half of the shrimp and peppers were cooked on the salt block and the other half were grilled as I usually cook them. I wish I had taken some pics but we were hungry and ate them as sooon as they were grilled.

The salt block was a huge disappointment. The food was overly salty and did not compare to the regular grilled items. The salt block items did not have any grill marks and missed the flavor of those chars. We will not use one again.

If you are considering one of these, think twice. In my research I saw one case where the block had some moisture in it and exploded in the guy's kitchen. Luckily he was out at the time.

Theis is a fad that is destined to fail. I recommend you not spend your money on this item.

Ray

Thanks for the review Ray.
You know many of us here are always looking to try the latest gimmick or gadget.

Not to Hi Jack your thread, but I've used salt blocks a ton. At first I wasn't really impressed with it. My issue was I wasn't getting the block hot enough. You need to get them super hot. Just bring it up slow. Like 45min. I started to use it on my smokey joe were the block was really close to the coals. Give it about 20min with the lid off then put the lid on once it starts screaming and let it go another 20min. Just avoid flames. The key to the salt block is using the same side. Once it's really hot add your olive oil. Your oil should start smoking with in 30sec. You want your throw down to sizzle like a cast iron. After 4-5 uses your block will blacken up and the over powering slat taste will mellow out. Then you will start to get a good black char and pull the seasoning out of the block. Hope this helps

IMAG1849_zpsb270cf90.jpg

IMAG1847_zps001d06c7.jpg

Last edited:
So the secret is "a seasoned salt block." Interesting, thanks for the "good to know" Todd

Kind of odd Huh! The more I use it the better it cooks. Something else I left out is don't really clean it. Ill give a good scrape with a puddy knife while it's still hot. No need to go over board.

Kind of odd Huh! The more I use it the better it cooks. Something else I left out is don't really clean it. Ill give a good scrape with a puddy knife while it's still hot. No need to go over board.

Thanks so much Todd. I had heated mine for just over 25 minutes. You have given me a new perspective, but still not sure I want the extra effort.

Great pictures you posted.

Thanks again.

Ray

I was lookin at those at the pool/patio/spa place where we get chemicals. Sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Try it a few more times Ray. You might end up liking it. It's more of a novelty idem then anything. It's just one more trick in any good cooks pocket.

Back