High Temps with new clay saucer

Dave S

TVWBB Super Fan
For the past year and a half I have been using a 14" saucer in my 22.5 WSM. It just sat in the bottom of the water bowl and grease would drip around it and get in between the clay and water pan and it always was a pain to clean. I just found an 18" one that fits just perfect on the top of the water bowl. I am using it for the first time today and my temps are way to high, close to 300. It always ran about 260 before. Is it possible there is to much mass? Good thing I'm playing with a pulled beef cook and not in a panic. I guess the other issue I may have is the cooker is sitting in the sun here in FL where it's 95, one reason I smoke less in the summer (sorry to say that to my northern friends). Any thoughts, to much mass, weather, or a combination of both. I will post pics later if all goes well
Any thoughts??

Thanks for your input
Dave

IMHO, the larger saucer should not make the temp rise. A clay heat sink does not generate heat or raise the temp, it should just help stabilize the temp. I would say a hot sum could contribute more. Also, is it possible that there is an air leak somewhere?

Any sink like clay, sand, rocks, bricks or whatever can only absorb a certain amount of heat, once they hit that magic point they start to release it, and will cause spikes if you don't catch the temps on the way up. Going from full shade to full sun will also cause spikes.
You had it dialed in with the smaller dish.. You just have to re-learn how to do it again with the larger one.:wsm:
Start shutting your vents down sooner should help.

Tim

Exactly what Timothy said. Larger mass, once fully heat saturated, means more mass to release heat. And it's a pain to get the temps down.

It's why a lot of people just stay with water - as messy and as much of a hassle as it can be. It's always going to boil at 212 degrees.

I wouldn't blame the saucer, it's probably more efficient. Start with less coals and watch the temp.

Exactly what Timothy said. Larger mass, once fully heat saturated, means more mass to release heat. And it's a pain to get the temps down.

It's why a lot of people just stay with water - as messy and as much of a hassle as it can be. It's always going to boil at 212 degrees.

YES, and there's a couple things to consider with the larger clay pot base sitting on top of the pan, particularly if you cook much meat at a time. With a smaller clay pot base in the bottom of the pan you can still use a couple of pieces of foil over the top of the pan to catch all the drippings, and as long as temps are under 300, they're not as likely to smoke. I know how much drippings can accumulate from just a couple of pork butts, and it's certainly best to have some foil to catch them IMHO.

The other thing is what if you're cooking on the bottom grate as well. I don't think it's such a great idea to put any meat just a couple of inches away from something that will be releasing a lot of heat after any temp spikes. In other words, I think the large clay pot base on top of the pan or in place of the pan is best for the guys who aren't concerned with potential temp spikes and aren't cooking much at any one time. Whatever works and different strokes...some like to smoke at 300.

Lots of good points guys, just when you think you have a method down it only takes one change to backslide. I am going to make some adjustments and we'll see in a future cook.

Dave good point about a heat source so close to the bottom rack
Thanks again

wouldnt sand work?

Certainly it can work, but you could (potentially) end up with the same issues as with clay - the more you use, the more mass there is (potentially) that could be heated up. Then once that mass begins releasing the heat, then.......

I think the bigger point is airflow control is more important with solid mass objects (like clay, sand, etc.) than it is with water because water will never exceed 212 degrees in liquid form. Sand? Clay? Whatever their physical limits are before they change state (which is well in excess of water). :)

250 was my magic point with my clay saucer, any thing above that than I would get runaway temps. I only used it for my first year till I figured out that my WSM in my backyard likes to coast @ 275 with just an empty foiled pan with no muss or fuss.
Bottom line find what works for you and adjust it with every cook if need be.:wsm:

Tim

Back