High temp pork butts...

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
I haven't posted in a while, but a post a while back caught my attention regarding higher heat pork butts. There has been a sale the last couple of weeks for bone in at .99 a pound, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

First attempt, I used a flower pot base inside the stock pan. The temps settled in at around 280 to 295 and it took about 9 hours to cook two 8.25 butts. I believe I left all vents open. This was the fastest pork butt cook I have done so far.

Second try I used just a foil lined stock pan but inside the charcoal pan I placed two fire bricks towards the outside edges. I kept one vent closed and two wide open. After an hour, the temps settled and stayed around 280 to 290. Total cook time to reach 200 degrees internal was about the same time as above (8.5 to 9 hours+-).

Both cooks were a little over an hour a pound.

Both times I felt the meat was the same as a lower temperature cooked butt except the higher temp cook resulted in more and consistent bark. If you're bark fan consider a higher heat cook.

John

John , what is the deal with the flower pot ? Do you use that and no water , is there a link to this style of cooking .
Is it like using sand in your pan ?

Thanks Steve

sorry for the hijack

The intent is that the flower pot base is used in place of water. Usually over the stock pan or in place of it depending on the size that's used.

There's a lot of info about the flower pot base in the WSM Modifications folder.

Lately I just use a stock pan without water (w foil) and just put a couple of fire bricks in the charcoal pan which serve the same purpose as a heat sink.

If I want temps in the 300s (brisket or turkey)I don't use the bricks.

John

~285 is my temp of choice for butts as well. There are times when an extended cook is more convenient and so I'll low/slow overnight and into the day. (Good to have that option if needed.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Here's one to try. High heat butt cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tried that one and thought the bark was better and the meat was plenty moist, but I found I had more waste.

I'm the type that tosses anything funny looking, so it makes sense to me that with less time to render there'd be more for the garbage.

For those curious I used the stock pan foiled, no water, 65* outside, WSM in direct sunlight, all vents 100% to 300*, 75% to 350*, then 50% at the grate with little maintainence for the duration.

As much as I enjoy overnight cooks, high heat has its place, and its one I'll use again.

Hey Bryan! I dont want to be mean towards Ed from Kick A** bbq because he really seems like a great guy and I really dont want to start a flame war over this but look at the bark on the high heat pork cook. That is exactly what I try to avoid. I hate bark that is crunchy, and black. Not appealing to me at all. I tried that exact method once. I was not happy.
But to each their own I guess. If the one who makes it likes it, it cant be all bad.

dale, like ya say, many just have to finf their comfort zone. its kinda funny cuz to me, high heat means 250-300 deg. i like how stuff turns out there and thats what i cook at.

I agree George. If the person who cooks it likes what they are doing, they win.
Its all just an opinion anyhow and just because I have one doesnt make me right. With that said, I am in my comfort zone at 220-225 max, and Im happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I hate bark that is crunchy, and black. Not appealing to me at all. I tried that exact method once. I was not happy.
But to each their own I guess. If the one who makes it likes it, it cant be all bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have left overs which means a comparison test is on!

I like to keep my lid temps at 225 - 245deg. I like the bark dark and chewy, but not to the point that I can't easily tear it apart with my hands.

Back