High temp brisket

Originally posted by craig castille:
On the last one I did, I also separated the point about an hour and a half into the cook.

How did that work out? I thought about the point as well. On a high high cook, I'm think the point should be removed, and leave the point on the WSM at the time of foiling the flat, and after it's removed. Hmmm...Burnt ends (Yum!) in another hour maybe?

Originally posted by paul h:
Bill, could you give us a little more detail on your cook?
What would you like to know?

I started with a ring filled with unlit Kingsford and added 20 or so lit Kingsford briquets to the top along with 3 oak wine barrel pieces (the kind Steven Raichland sells). I used a flower pot base wrapped in foil instead of the water pan.

I trimmed a 12lb Angus brisket and put it on my WSM around noon.

I had a difficult time getting it up to the 350* temperature that I wanted, so a started another half chimney of charcoal and added that around 12:45. By 1:00 I finally got the WSM up to 350*. I cooked the brisket for another 3.5 hours at 350*.

At about 4:30 I wrapped the brisket very loosely in foil, added half a can of chicken broth and put the brisket back on the WSM.

I cooked it at 350* for another hour and fifteen minutes.

At 5:45 I took the brisket off the WSM, tightly wrapped the foil, then wrapped the whole thing in several towels. I put the wrapped brisket into a cooler for half an hour.

at 6:15 I sliced and served the brisket. It had a good smoke ring but lacked a pronounced smokey flavor. Also, we really couldn't taste the rub. On top of that, the brisket was much greasier and fattier than usual, even though I trimmed it the same way I always do.

Bill

Originally posted by Scott Greenia:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
On the last one I did, I also separated the point about an hour and a half into the cook.

How did that work out? I thought about the point as well. On a high high cook, I'm think the point should be removed, and leave the point on the WSM at the time of foiling the flat, and after it's removed. Hmmm...Burnt ends (Yum!) in another hour maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first 4 I cooked I left the point on.

The last one I took the point off during the cook.

The next one I cook, I will remove the point before cooking.

All came out fine, but on the last cook the removed point seemed to render more completely.

So, the logical next step is to remove the point completely and see what happens.

The nice thing is I can't wait to try.

Maybe I'll cook #6 next weekend .

Bill,

I have a couple of high heat cooks under my belt. I too, have used the oak staves. Because of the hotter fire I think they burned up on ya. I used 6, and they were stacked on each other in a hope to slow down the burn. Smoke flavor was good. Cooking two packers on the same cook, I had one with good bark and another with hardly any. If memory serves me, the one that lost the seasoning had much more fluid that had rendered inside the foil. My suspision is that washed the seasioning, not sure. Craig and Kevin speak of the paste and the rub. Worth a try.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n...... too many choices!
Gary

Bill, I noticed some of the same things with my brisket after a high heat cook. There was hardly any smoke smell and lack of bark. As far as being too greasey you might want to consider a closer trim of the fat before the cook.Gary may have a good idea here. Maybe part of the way through the foiled part of the cook pull the meat out drain the liquid and put back on. I'll have to try this next time and report back. I miss that bark BUT you do get to eat brisket a heck of a lot earlier
icon_wink.gif

I know this is and old thread but I have a question about this method. I would like to do one this Sunday and would need to store it while we drive to my inlaws. I read most of this thread a while back and the last two pages right now so I may be wrong but can you put apple juice or cider in place of broth?
Also when it is tender and I take it off the wsm do I let it sit for 10mins before I wrap in tight foil/towels and placed in a cooler so it doesnt continue cooking and get tough?
Last when I do foil again and place in the cooler I add 1/4 cup of dripping form the previous foil or add fresh juice/cider/or broth?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Cesar:
...so I may be wrong but can you put apple juice or cider in place of broth?
Yes, you can.

Also when it is tender and I take it off the wsm do I let it sit for 10mins before I wrap in tight foil/towels and placed in a cooler so it doesnt continue cooking and get tough?
You can do that. It will not automatically 'get tough'. This depends on when you pull it. Try to shoot for the moment it is just fork tender (do the best you can but do NOT worry about it) and you'll have some leeway. Since you have a drive and need to keep it hot, forgo resting naked. Remove most of the juices from the foil (but not all--leave a good 1/2-1 cup in there) when you pull the brisket from the cooker. Over-wrap with more foil and stick in your cooler with towels. Use the collected juices to build a sauce from or, at least, add a splash or two of them to the sauce you plan to serve.
Last when I do foil again and place in the cooler I add 1/4 cup of dripping form the previous foil or add fresh juice/cider/or broth?
The above answer answers the first part of the question. For the latter: you will likely have substantial juices in the foil when you pull it from the cooker and I'd suggest draining out some (as noted above) and leaving some in the foil.

[I have shared a superb bottle of Talbott Chard (with a salad of baby greens, ripe tomato and avocado chunks--with a parmesan crisp--in a grapefruit vinaigrette), and a 2003 Caymus Cab (with grilled tri-tip sliced over broccoli-green bean risotto) so if I am not making sense please advise.
icon_smile.gif
]

thanks K Kruger, It went great. Everyone loved it. After it was tender and I took it off I cut the point off and cut it up into 4 pieces and put it back on for another hour and a half. Then the flew hit me like a ton of bricks so I had my wife shred the point pieces for everyone and well I felt so sick yesterday I ate about 4 bites... and they didn't leave me any
icon_frown.gif

Good thing I always use gloves when handling the meat.

Thanks again.

You cooked, you were sick...and they didn't leave you any?! Now, that's a crime.

I'm glad it worked out (otherwise) and hope you feel better soon.

I'm gonna have to try this too,
I have a charity cookoff dinner in a few weeks but I wont be able to start early in the morning as I usually do so I will have to go this route.

Question: I cooked two briskets flats last night but couldn't get the darn cooker above 290 and it was down to 275 at times. I think part of the problem is I forgot to clean the ashes out of the bottom before I fired it up. What will I notice or should expect to be different when cooking at 330-350? Is it just going to be a shorter cook and maybe more bark?

It was still the best brisket I have made. I used the wet rub that has tabasco from the cooking topics section. It was tasty.

We'll be trying it out in a competition this weekend. Hopefully we won't mess it up!
icon_biggrin.gif

It will be a shorter cook.

Sometimes, depending on fuel and ambient conditions, more air is required. Flipping the door upside down (so the knob is on the bottom) and proppong it open .5-1 inch is usually all you need to boost temps.

Good luck on your comp!

Kevin

P.S. to Craig--Good. I think it's good for others to be aware of alternatives to try. Can't hurt, right?

Doug,

Unless the smoker is sitting in the direct sun light, I almost always have to prop the door open.

Like Kevin says, about a half inch to maybe an inch is all that is needed.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming you're leaving the door open until it reaches temp and then shutting. You're not just stoking the fire for a few minutes, right?

Here are some pictures of my first high heat brisket.

High Heat Brisket

Feel free to make fun of my sloppy slicing job while you can, my Forschner 12" Granton Edge Slicer is in the mail and I am pumped!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes the door stays propped open the entire cook. I try and get to 350 lid, but it ususally settles around 325-335 lid for the duration.

I use a piece of split wood and I can easily adjust the opening of the door with the wood.

With me , it usually depends on conditions.

PS- pics look great, well done.

Doug--Now, now. One would look at your slices and only suspect the tiniest over-indulgence in alcohol pre-slicing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, the brisket looks delicious.

You're not just stoking the fire for a few minutes, right?
Not necessarily. You have to gauge it as it goes, just as you would with vents. Two cooks ago, e.g., I closed it--no problems. My last cook when I did so I could see relatively quickly that I was headed toward a lower than desired stabilization point so I opened .25 inch and that did the trick. Conditions, as Craig notes, fuel and ambient, are key.

Though you might well be able to close the door, think of it as a vent: watch your therm and you should be able to tell by the rate of temp drop (if any) whether or not you can, or whether you'll need to leave it cracked open a bit.

Back