High Temp Brisket Question

Steve, Fat cap down. It will protect the brisket from the high heat, coming up from below. Good luck with your cook.

Let it go 350-375 for 2.5 hours with out peeking. Foil and start checkin around 3.5 hours for tenderness.
Your gonna love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soliman:
Let it go 350-375 for 2.5 hours with out peeking. Foil and start checkin around 3.5 hours for tenderness.
Your gonna love it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, how do you get your temps up that high? The highest I've ever gotten it up to was about 310.

If running naked (no Guru or the like) propping the door open 1/4-1/2 inch will get you there. For this the door needs to be upside down (knob on bottom--I leave my door that way). Nothing in the pan of course.

I'll have to try again, as the last time I tried a high temp cook it was a turkey and I just don't remember it going over 310*, but I could be mistaken. I must have done something wrong as with a full ring of coals and open vents, it should go as high as you want.

One would think.

I don't start with all lit so there's a difference there. But, regardless, when I run into a stall in the temp rise a bit more air intake fixes it.

It's been a long time since I started a cook with all lit and I really don't remember whether I needed additional air or not.

Sorry about that Kevin, I didn't mean I have had a full ring of lit coals. I usually dump one chimney full of lit coals on a full ring of unlit coals and wait it out.

I start with maybe 30 lit. I leave the door alone till I get a slowdown in the upper 200s or a bit higher then crack the door. If I don't it usually settles somewhere between 295 and 315 (lid). So, I crack the door. See if that does it for you.

No problem Ed. The brisket came out very good - nice smoke ring and very moist.

I did 4.5 hrs at an avg temp of 310 in the WSM. Foil wrapped at 170 or so and in the oven at 350 for about an hour until it reached 195-200.

Great reviews from the family. Fastest brisket I've ever done -will do again!

Steve

Back