High heat techniques

Bob E

TVWBB Member
I am cooking an 8-9 lb brisket today using the high heat method. What is the preferred method for starting your smoker? Looks like the minion method may not be the way to go. I have a pork butt finishing up an all night smoke right now. Thanks

You can still do the Minion Method but ya want to have a little more lit to get started. I wait about 10 minutes after I get the started charcoal on the un-lit to put the center section on. This way the coals are going pretty good. Keep all your vents wide open until getting close to your target temp which I am assuming will be around 300......

Do you still use a water bowl or clay saucer as a heat sink/shield? Just curious to see what other people do. Thanks.

I go with a dry pan. I also have to crack the lid just a little (all vents wide open) to get much above 300F (@ 4500' elevation)

If you fill it with water you'll consume more fuel & struggle to get the temps up.

If you go with a clay saucer / bricks / sand it'll take a little while longer to get up to temp and will stay hotter after the coals die down... guess it just affects the natural curve.

You may have an issue keeping the temps up. You can open the door a bit or place something under the lid just enough to allow more air flow. I used a spike and everything was wide open. I liked the HH method enough I cut a second dome vent into my lid. It works like a charm. I now have an outdoor oven and a smoker when I want.

Last edited:
I did a HH (325F), 14 1/4 pound packer today in my 22 1/2" WSM. I fill the charcoal ring all the way up and start it in a few places with a high output propane torch. It came out great.

Burnt ends rule!

Bob

Back