High Heat Pork Butt

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
For Smoke Day I wanted to give high heat pork butt a try. It's such an appealing concept to be able to have pulled pork in 4.5 - 5 hours.

I setup the WSM with a full load of Kingsford Blue Bag, 5 hickory chunks, and two packets of apple pellets.

I did a Minion start with ~25 lit, assembled the cooker and added the meat. I had a 9.7lb Boston Butt from Wal-Mart. I rubbed it with Raiclen's basic BBQ rub.

I left all vents open and watched the temp come up. I was shooting for 325 - 350 at the dome. It stalled in the high 200s so I flipped the door without propping it open, this was enough to get it up to 325 and it finally settled in right at 350, and stayed there steady as a rock the whole rest of the way.

I basically followed the method outlined on the Kick-*** BBQ site except that I did not use a foil pan to hold the butt. I just placed it on the grate with an empty foiled water pan. So I ran it in the smoke for 3 hours, then foiled for 2, then started checking temps, it took about another 17 minutes to reach 195 internal.

I pulled it from the smoker and let it rest in a turned off oven for about an hour and a half. I then proceeded to pull the pork.

It pulled very easily and was moist and very flavorful. I am so happy with the results I don't see myself doing pulled pork any other way in the future.

I made up a batch of "Fat Johnny's Batardized Piedmont Sauce" that Keri C posted in the recipe forum. It is a dynamite sauce and went perfectly with the sandwiches.

Here are the pics:

After the rest...

Pulled...

Plated...

Good smoke ring, nice bark... Did all the fat render? I've only done PP 3 times, 18-21 hrs each time. Any difference in the final product?

Probably the only significant difference is in the texture of the bark, being in the foil for that long softens the bark. But to me that's not a big enough difference to make me want to do it any other way. Because of where I live it's just not practical to do an over night smoke. So this and the high heat brisket technique allow me to have these two meats within the time constraints I have and not lose that much in quality over the 18 hour smoked versions. So I am very happy and excited over how this smoke went.

Very nice. You pulled it just the way I like it, chunky style. Great looking butt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
Probably the only significant difference is in the texture of the bark, being in the foil for that long softens the bark. But to me that's not a big enough difference to make me want to do it any other way. Because of where I live it's just not practical to do an over night smoke. So this and the high heat brisket technique allow me to have these two meats within the time constraints I have and not lose that much in quality over the 18 hour smoked versions. So I am very happy and excited over how this smoke went. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here's the thing.. its said to pull the shoulder out and wrap and towel and put it in a cooler to rest for a few hrs after a overnighter... when doing this the bark also softens... least for me...

Back