High heat Pork Butt - kick a$$ bbq recipe - FINAL RESULTS (PIC HEAVY)

High All,

I will be doing a high heat pork butt (combo pack from Sam's) this weekend for a wedding shower we're hosting.

So the WSM is unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances (need to find out who took it), so I will be using a 22.5 kettle, which I'm ok with since its high heat.

Never done one like this before, but I plan on using the method at the link below:

http://www.kickassbbq.com/Pull...oston%20Butt%29.html

Would love to hear any tips for anyone who has done this specific method before. I plan on starting Sat morning with K blue and hope to have it finished around 2-3pm. Thanks!

I've had temp spikes overnight that's caused my butt cooks to shorten....sort of a hybrid high heat cook and it didn't alter my results at all.

I've used the HH method for brisket several times now with spectacular results.

I think it will work for you. Don't just go by recipe temps for pulling. Before you take it off, make sure it's probe tender and you'll be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

:)

Done about 4 pork butts on the WSM using Eds high heat method. All turned out great.

Ive never tried one on a kettle though.

Originally posted by T Perkins:
Done about 4 pork butts on the WSM using Eds high heat method. All turned out great.

Nice, any idea where I can find his methods? I just tried a quick search but found no detail. Thanks!

did one last week on the wsm. had to crack lid to keep temps at 300-350. cooked in about 5-6 hours. just as good as any butt ive had.

Done quite a few on the WSM, a few on the OTG, both work fine, just with the kettle you have to rotate your butts a few times depending how your coals are set-up.
I do mine a little different.
I always Minion the start to try to get as much time in the smoke as possible. I foil when I like the color, not so much as a certain temp.
That usually happens at the 4 hr mark, mine usually take about 6-7 hrs.
Once foiled you can leave it on the smoker or pop it in the oven, heat is heat and the pork will turn out fine either way.
If you follow the method zactly with the time, temps, when to foil, and the 1 hour hold, it usually turns out pretty good.
But if you leave it on till probe tender, than the 1 hr hold IME is overkill, and the residual heat will overcook and tough-fen up your butts.
Me.. once they hit tender I unfoil drain the juice into a fat seperator ( save the defatted juice for a finishing sauce) and leave them loosely tented on the counter for about a 1/2 hr till I separate the big parts and start pulling.
Hope it works out for you, cause it is a quick fix when your jonsing for some PP.

Tim

Originally posted by timothy:
Done quite a few on the WSM, a few on the OTG, both work fine, just with the kettle you have to rotate your butts a few times depending how your coals are set-up.
I do mine a little different.
I always Minion the start to try to get as much time in the smoke as possible. I foil when I like the color, not so much as a certain temp.
That usually happens at the 4 hr mark, mine usually take about 6-7 hrs.
Once foiled you can leave it on the smoker or pop it in the oven, heat is heat and the pork will turn out fine either way.
If you follow the method zactly with the time, temps, when to foil, and the 1 hour hold, it usually turns out pretty good.
But if you leave it on till probe tender, than the 1 hr hold IME is overkill, and the residual heat will overcook and tough-fen up your butts.
Me.. once they hit tender I unfoil drain the juice into a fat seperator ( save the defatted juice for a finishing sauce) and leave them loosely tented on the counter for about a 1/2 hr till I separate the big parts and start pulling.
Hope it works out for you, cause it is a quick fix when your jonsing for some PP.

Tim

Awesome Tim, thank you for the info. Have made a note of it.

Just got back from Sam's and got a double pack of butts/shoulder at about 18lbs. Going to be a good one!

And here she is:

img20110428200911.jpg

Originally posted by Archie Sellis (Cajun600):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Perkins:

Nice, any idea where I can find his methods? I just tried a quick search but found no detail. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He shows the high heat method right on his website, if I remember correctly.

edit-looks like you've got it linked in your first post!

Personally, I don't care for the taste of HH pork butt. I feel that because of the type of meat ,it just requires time to render out. Now, scientifically,I have NO stats to prove this so to each his own
icon_wink.gif

So...all went well, and I'm here to report back my findings. Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. The original packaging is pictured above this post, so on to the show...

Here they are, injected (per Ed's recipe), rubbed, and in the pans, about 1 hour before cook time...
img20110430091733.jpg

Alright, here is the grill set up, using a 22" kettle, about 30 unlit briquets on each side with a piece of hickory on top. Started about 30 in a chimney, put 15 lit on each side with 2 more chunks each of hickory, and then two handfuls of apple chips on each side to get the heavy smoke going.
img20110430092240.jpg

Dome temp keeping constant at 375, I put the meat on immediately after putting the coals on so the food could rise in temp with the kettle. Highest it ever got was 375 on the thermometer, stayed between 350-375, had to throw some coals on after 1.5 hrs and 2.5 hrs.
img20110430100011.jpg

Here are the butts at 2 hrs and 110 deg internal temp, each, stayed pretty consistent with each other...
img20110430115444.jpg

After about 3.5 hrs, they hit 155-157, foiled them and then threw them in the oven at 365. Within 1.5 hrs, both hit 190-195, removed and let rest for 50 mins, drained liquid into fat separator and took picture....
img20110430160932.jpg

Butt #1 close up:
img20110430160939.jpg

Butt #2 close up:
img20110430160945.jpg

One was used for a party immediately, the other saved for next day to shred, pics of being shredded:
img20110501135407.jpg

Conclusion:
All in all, great experience. Time was very quick. Meat was great and tasted great, put some liquid from fat separator back into it after shredded and seemed to add lot of good flavor/spices. The smoke flavor wasn't as heavy as I liked, and I think it has to do with the pans having to be compacted closer to the meat so they both fit on the grill, if I do this again I will do it without the pans and invert the one underneath so it catches all the grease drippings, and then put them in pans once going into foiling stage. Was great and we all had a good time, the sandwiches came out great and everyone enjoyed them. Served with 3 diff types of BBQ sauce. Thanks for looking!

Archie, good job! I use a lot of wood when smoking butts and brisket. They can take a lot of smoke. Maybe next time continue to use your pans but add a lot more wood . See if that helps with the smoke

Originally posted by paul h:
Archie, good job! I use a lot of wood when smoking butts and brisket. They can take a lot of smoke. Maybe next time continue to use your pans but add a lot more wood . See if that helps with the smoke

Yea definitely a good idea, just hit it with as much smoke as possible. Will definitely try that next time.

Nicely done Archie!
Keep playin with it. Its a good method, just find out what works for you, and make it your own.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

nice cook. I like the idea of getting butts done faster than the usual low & slow cook. My only concern is that the butts will not be as tender or easy to pull.

Back