High Heat Guys - need help

Lance G

I've used the HH method for a long time but I've always BBQ'ed with homemade pit-style smokers. I won't have access to any of my smokers for a few more years so I need to buy something and learn how to use it.

What do most of you use? The WSMC 22.5 seems like the way to go but I can't find one here in Manhattan in a store to play with and I don't know anyone here in the city who owns one. I'd like to HH BBQ briskets, ribs, pork butts, chickens, etc.

Anyway, any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly just take the plunge and order a WSM. You'll learn how to use it in no time and if you appreciate good BBQ you most likely won't regret it.

HH cooks are certainly possible with WSM's, although I can't speak to the 22.5 size.

not sure about HH on a WSM myself, but with an empty water pan you should be able to do it just fine, and then you get the low heat option as well (in case we're able to convert you to the slow side).

Not sure how much volume I need but I can't imagine cooking more than the equivalent of two briskets at once. I really haven't even looked at a Kettle because I sort of assumed it was just a "grill". Now that you mentioned it, not sure why it wouldn't work.

It's not a matter of volume, it's a matter of ease of use. I do HH stuff all the time. If you're looking at higher roasting temps of 450+ (say, for fowl) then a kettle works well. If you're looking at high heat for brisket, ribs, etc., say, 300-350/375) then a WSM is easier to use and you don't have the issue of cooking direct when you want to be indirect, as you can with a kettle when you're cooking enough to require a lot of surface area.

And, besides, you can convert a WSM to a kettle by removing the center section. Two cookers in one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lance G:
Not sure how much volume I need but I can't imagine cooking more than the equivalent of two briskets at once. I really haven't even looked at a Kettle because I sort of assumed it was just a "grill". Now that you mentioned it, not sure why it wouldn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WSM is all you need to do what you want. No need to mess and fuss with doing indirect, long burns on a kettle. Size wise the 18" WSM is all you need if doing 2 briskets will be the max cook. I haven't used any of my Weber grills in years. I do all my cooking on the WSM. Low and slow, high heat briskets and I grill all my steaks, chops, burgers, chicken, etc. on the lower cooking grate, no water pan in place. Works so good, no need to use a grill. HTH

Back