High Heat Chuck Roll?????? Updated Pics

Steve Forwe

TVWBB Fan
I have a 10# chuck roll. Work schedule has changed and an overnighter is not possible. My Sunday afternoon is free. Is it doable to high heat this thing? I need to cook it this week end.

Hi Steve, short answer is yes.

It does need SOME time at heat to tenderize but I've made pulled meat in the oven as high as 325ºF.

If you run 325ºF in the WSM ... still foil it around 165ºF internal then in the oven perhaps even as high as 400ºF. I just did some and I stick to 275º but I'd have no problems bumping that up by 50º if I was in a hurry. I'd try more though what I think will happen if it's rushed too much is will become tough/dry but pullable nonetheless (and surely not so horrible as to need to be thrown out). Give it a shot!

Thanks for the reply. That's great news. I was going to start it late tonight, but work tomorrow cancelled that. I'll have all Sunday afternoon to do the high heat. Should I treat it the same as a high heat Briket. Foil at 160-165, start checking for tender at approx two hours later?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Thanks for the reply. That's great news. I was going to start it late tonight, but work tomorrow cancelled that. I'll have all Sunday afternoon to do the high heat. Should I treat it the same as a high heat Briket. Foil at 160-165, start checking for tender at approx two hours later? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would. One difference is that we go for sliceable on the brisket but you are looking for pullable. I recently did 8lb chuck roasts, they were moist tender and they just fell apart in my hands ... they took 14 hours at 275ºF (I didn't check for 3 hours so they might have been ok as early as 12). I think it's possible to make it pullable in 6 hours but it might not be as nice as one done slower.

Grilling a blade steak is a good example. When you grill a blade steak with direct heat, say 500ºF plus, the moisture gets squeezed out by constricting tissue and it's dry before connective tissue has had a chance to soften and the meat is dry AND tough. If we use a soup can recipe and cook in the oven at 325ºF in soup the meat can be more tender and moist not because it's in liquid but it's had more time to become tender.

What I can't tell you definitively is how that roast of yours will take to the plan in 6 hours.

Any chance you could load it in a crock pot on low for a few hours prior to smoking? ... you'd loose the smoke ring but not the flavor.

Good luck Steve!

The stoneware ones I believe you should keep 1/2" of liquid in (so that the bottom is completely covered) ... this is to keep from cracking it. Can't speak to others. As far as the meat is concerned you don't have to.

Ok. The work schedule changed and I was able to put it on at midnight. It's now 9 am here and the internal is 168. Should I foil or not, and at what temp referance should I start checking for done (tenderness)?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Ok. The work schedule changed and I was able to put it on at midnight. It's now 9 am here and the internal is 168. Should I foil or not, and at what temp referance should I start checking for done (tenderness)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, foil now and start to test for tenderness around 195º. Do not go by temperature alone to determine doneness on a chuck especially....They're done when you can easily insert and twist the meat with a fork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Ok. The work schedule changed and I was able to put it on at midnight. It's now 9 am here and the internal is 168. Should I foil or not, and at what temp referance should I start checking for done (tenderness)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, foil now and start to test for tenderness around 195º. Do not go by temperature alone to determine doneness on a chuck especially....They're done when you can easily insert and twist the meat with a fork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done, and will do. Thank you Larry.
icon_smile.gif

I'll second larry's point, go till it's done.

I recently did one, got a single reading of 205ºF but needed a lot more time. Dropped down to 225ºF and didn't check it for 3 more hours, didn't check final temp but it had softened up enough, it got coolered for 2 hours and it turned out beautiful.

Checked for tender at 195, probe slid in with no effort. Wrapped up and resting. Took right at twelve hours. had plenty of fuel left, threw together a cheese filled fatty, and on the smoker. Will post pics later. Man that thing has the house smellin good!!!!

Ok. Here are the pics.

Pics

Looks like great eats at Steve's house!

I'm kinda bummed you didn't end up trying high heat pulled beef, but at the same time a little relieved ... I really wasn't sure if 6 hours was enough to get pullable.

Been thinking about it though ... if I was to try it I'd turbo the front end, say up to 150º internal or so then put the brakes on and run at 275º through the tenderize.

I am SO happy it is lunch time here now....because after seeing those pics I am STARVING!!! Nice job, great smoke ring. Chuck is one of my absolute favorite cooks now...makes the best tacos I have ever had.

Chucky looks great there Steve. Nice pics and great job on your first of many rolls (I'm sure) to come.
icon_cool.gif

Back