High Heat Butts

Mike Adams

I've had great success with the high heat brisket from here, so I wanted to try a couple of butts. It turned out great. Total cook time was 6 hours (should have been less, I pulled them off at 205) and I don't see any reason to go back to the 13 hour overnight cooks.

Thanks again for all the great notes on the site!

I've wanted to try this too. At what temp did you run the WSM? How big was the biggest butt?

Ageed, Mike
icon_smile.gif
Since most of the smoke seems to get infused in the first few hours....
icon_cool.gif
I still smoke @ 225* for 5-6 hrs, then , finish, foiled w/apple juice in the oven @ 325*,...for a variation
icon_wink.gif

It was a costco 2 pack total weight 16 lbs, one was slightly bigger - so probably 9 lb. I think the average temp was around 330 - with a few ups and downs. I foiled after 4 hours (butts were @165) with a slight saucing when I foiled. Tons of juice to pour back on after pulling - didn't need any sauce.

Yes-sir, I like the HH butts also, especially around this time of year.
Is this the one you use?

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Since most of the smoke seems to get infused in the first few hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a common misconception. Smoke will lay/cling/build on to the meat as long as there's wood buring in your cooker. The smokering stops forming at 140º meat temp.
icon_wink.gif

For all my HH cooks, I double/tripple the amount ofsmoke wood, as the time for getting smoke on the meat is short, because of the higher temps and the foiling (meat is usually in the foil in 3 hrs. or less). HTH

Great job. I see no reason why one can't cook a butt on HH in 6 hours or so. I usually take between 5-1/2 to 6 hours on a rotisserie, to cook a whole 125 lb hog. I take if off the fire at 165 deg.

joe

Back