High heat brisket taking 6 hours?

Tom L

TVWBB Fan
I am trying my first brisket today in my new 22" WSM. I cut my teeth on ABT's last week and some smoked potatoes and drum sticks this week. I used the Minion start with 40 pieces Kingsford on top of remaining 18 lbs of the same and about 5 chunks of smokewood and immediately put on a 11.3 lb. brisket with wet and dry rub suggested by Kevin K. The brisket was about 40 degrees to start. I am using the ET-73 probes which I trial ran with the potatoes and chicken. The smoker took about 1 hour to come up to 340ish and the meat took 4 hours to come up to 170 so I could foil. Is that about right? After studying up all week, I was under the impression that the meat would hit 160 - 170 in about 2 hours but maybe that is laying it down when the smoker is already up to temp?
Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Not for nothin'....But I pull my briskets off between mid 170's - 180's. The come out tender and juicy. Give it a try once. May be able to save yourself some time.

I do think I over-cooked it. I'm going to start keeping a log of how the cook goes and try to foil earlier on in the process. I have included some pics though!
I used Kevin's wet and dry rub recipe:
web.jpg

I gotta get me a table!
web.jpg

After removing the point:
web.jpg

Finished slice.
web.jpg

Doesn't look overcooked to me. Smoke ring is very nice and the texture looks loose (as in not dried out).

How does it eat?

web.jpg

An I really like your yard gnome.

-mike

I liked it when we first sliced into it when it was hot. Problem was, I sliced then due to little yard gnomes (children) we were unable to eat for 30 minutes after slicing. Can it dry out that quick? Should I have rewrapped it in foil instead of just covering it with foil until serving?
Thanks,
Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom L:
I liked it when we first sliced into it when it was hot. Problem was, I sliced then due to little yard gnomes (children) we were unable to eat for 30 minutes after slicing. Can it dry out that quick? Should I have rewrapped it in foil instead of just covering it with foil until serving?
Thanks,
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had that happen also if I slice too much. I try to slice just what we need...Not sure of the remedy, my son will eat anything so it doesn't goes to waste...lol. For me anyway, brisket is best right out of the smoker. Now pulled pork is another story, left overs are even better. Never have left over ribs, I buy just what me and my son can eat that day.

Back