high heat brisket (stuck@ 130deg for >90min)

jay k.

TVWBB Member
Well I am glad to be a member, I have been reading for over a year now.

I was in the middle of my first HH Brisket, needed to ask a question here but couldn't till I registered. I did not use my real name, couldn't change till it was rejected, blah, blah. long story short 8 days later I am finally here.

My smoker temps with a tru-tel 4" probe mounted to my lid was reading steady 325-330deg. Temps of my meat (probe inserted in the flat) climbed nicely inside the meat about a deg a minute all the way up to 130. I was stuck at 130deg for about 90 minutes. I started freaking out blaming my probe, and pacing around wondering why I would hit a plateau prior to 160deg.

I just saqt around not doing anything and about 3.5 hours into the cook I hit 165deg. I foiled and waited about 45min. I inserted probe to check for feel of butter and I felt it in one section but not all so mistakenly I put it under for 20 more min. probe felt good. I rested on counter for 30min. It was a bit brown inside and crumbled a bit, I think I over cooked it. But the entire brisket was eaten and we enjoyed it. I cant wait to do it again and do it better.

Why did I get stuck at 130?

I will post pics as soon as i can

35405908.jpg

83212804.jpg

50794987.jpg

13890357.jpg

61258061.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jay k.:
I was stuck at 130deg for about 90 minutes. I started freaking out blaming my probe, and pacing around wondering why I would hit a plateau prior to 160deg.

I just saqt around not doing anything and about 3.5 hours into the cook I hit 165deg.

Why did I get stuck at 130?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Welcome jay. The best thing to do when that happens is reposistion the probe. That's what I do when I know it should still be climbing, but the temp has stalled. The probe could have been in some fat. Since you were doing a HH Brisket, you could have just foiled it after 2-2.5 hrs and not worried about the internal temp. All my HH briskets take right @ 2.5 hrs to hit 160-165 internal so I use that as my guide. HTH
Great pics.
icon_cool.gif

I fifgured out why it got stuck at 130 deg it is because my taylor temp probe was 31 deg off.

I am very upset right now, how could a product be that far off fresh from the box?

I smoked some fatties tonight and they would not get up to 160deg. After 4 hours I got fed up and pulled em and inserted a known good thermo from my kitchen, it read 31 deg higher than the f-ing probe.

cheers to finding my problem but shame on me for not checking my new thermo when I bought it.

Back