High heat brisket rack questions

Sal G

TVWBB Member
I was thinking of tring a 2 high temp packer briskets on my 22.5" . what should I expect as far as the upper and lower racks. will the lower rack reach doneness first? I was not going to put any water in the pan, does this make it more of a direct cook? can I get both briskets to finish at the same time? Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks!

I have no idea what to expect in terms of temp differences; it's immaterial, imo, and I wouldn't bother concering yourself with it.

As to whether the lower will reach done first it is hard to say. Proximity to the heat is one of several variables. I wouldn't worry about that either.

Skip the water. Foil the empty pan leaving airspace between pan and foil (this prevents scorched drippings).

The cook is still indirect but, yes, I guess one could say 'more of a direct cook'.

With a bit of an eye to timing I would say yes, you can get the briskets to finish at the same time --or nearly so-- especially if they are of similar thickness/size.

I foil by time, not by temp, and I foil roughly between the 2.25- to 2.5-hour mark. I'd get the briskets in, fat down, mark the time, then switch their positions about 1.75 hours into the cook. 45 min or so after that I'd foil each, then reverse their positions again. After 45 min in foil, I'd reverse again then cook another 30-40 min or so when I would check each for done.

At the temps I cook I do packers in slightly under 4 hours to maybe 10 min past 4 hours, hence my suggestions.

Make sure you protect the ends of the briskets that may overlap onto the hot zone along the sides.

You can make a foil buffer of sorts.

I've done two of them a couple times on my 18.5" with good success. I really didn't bother at all with fliping positions. When I foiled, I stakced them on top of each other on the top rack, and they both were done evenly. defintely protect the ends of the bottom one, mine got a little charcoaly, as in hard like a brick for an inch or so. May not be an issue with your bigger rig though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">mine got a little charcoaly, as in hard like a brick for an inch or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's why I suggest reversing positions. The ends can get hard if exposed, yes, but so can other parts of the underside and cooking time can also be shortened, especially if high heat with no water, depending on temps. This stuff isn't automatic at all, but it only takes seconds to reverse meat positions a few times. Overcooking, however, is irreversible.

Its kind of a hassle and maybe even a little silly but if you weren't doing two then this (as silly as it is) actually works, I've still been working w/ it and like it. Ussually Im not a fan of "fiddling" w/ things so much but something about burnt/overdone ends aggervates me, lol. I don't know why. BUT it would make a bit of a mess I bet, im not ussually doing brisket or anything like that, just piddly stuff. Just thought i'de throw that in. The water pan is great, just not for everything esp. since it directs a lot of heat up the sides only, esp. w/ higher heat. This is a great way to do chicken (but messy unless you don't mind) for the money its almost as easy to replace the ceramic once a year but I havn't yet. Again, a bit silly, I agree, but it does work for me so far and I like it. The only thing similar I'de have an example of is chicken. I noted that the doneness was very even and I don't turn or rotate anything but only flip. Sorry I don't know about the brisket your doing, but it should work.. except you might have a few grill marks or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">mine got a little charcoaly, as in hard like a brick for an inch or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's why I suggest reversing positions. The ends can get hard if exposed, yes, but so can other parts of the underside and cooking time can also be shortened, especially if high heat with no water, depending on temps. This stuff isn't automatic at all, but it only takes seconds to reverse meat positions a few times. Overcooking, however, is irreversible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a great t-shirt! I do reverse them now, and it definitely helps.

thanks for the info, I like the high temp method and I think I will be using it at comps this year.

Back