High Heat brisket no no...(heck any no no...)

When you are doing the temp/probe check on your brisket you need to take into account physics. Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

I took my probe on check #2 and poken it here, then there. And as one last check I poked it stright down through the meat...still a little resistance.

And when I pulled out the thermometer, I realized that it and the foil on the bottom of the meat cannot reside in the same place at the same time. I realized this when the steam and scream that came from my water pan as the juices of the piece of meat I was cooking all ran out and started to boil in the 'water' pan.

It smelled GREAT. But I then realized that I was going to be cooking a DRY piece of meat.

Moral: Know where the end or your probe is. It's sharp, it's pointy, and it goes through meat. (So it sure as heck is going to go through FOIL!)

Hope this helps someone. [The shame]

Yeah, I've done that. And more than once.

I had to idiot proof myself though, and now use aluminum drip pans with foil instead of just foil.

I use foil (I like the tighter environment) but I test for done through the brisket's side.

This happens all the time, no worries.... Wont make much difference in the finished product either

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SethM:
Wont make much difference in the finished product either </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It will if he wanted all the juice in the foil for a finishing sauce, or to use for reheating.
icon_wink.gif
That liquid in the foil is like gold to me.
icon_smile.gif

That liquid -- those savory juices -- do magical things to your homemade BBQ sauce. Add about ¼ - ? cup and taste what I mean.

I've chilled and removed the fat, then used some of it when a recipe called for broth. Be careful 'cause it's strong, but a touch of it mixed with your usual broth will do the same amazing things to your everyday dishes.

Always check your temps sideways.
icon_wink.gif

Scott, when I do my high heat brisket I take the meat out when it reaches around 170+ and put it in two layers of foil. The bottom layer is like a boat that comes around the bottom and up the sides. The second layer covers the top and I push the sides of the top layer and bottom layer together, When I want to take the doneness test, I simply take the top layer of foil off, pull down one of the bottom sides a little and do my testing. If not done just put the top foil back, No loss of juices, The bottom layer of foil acts like a cradle to keep all the good stuff in.

Back