High Heat Brisket Method - A Compilation

Not an issue. I only use sugar in beef rubs that need it - those with bitter elements, and that can be quite a few of my rubs for beef (unsweet cocoa, coffe, etc.) - and I routinely hit temps of over 350, even before foiling.

Sugar caramelizes at 320, burns >350 - but there is evaporation at the surface which keeps temps there lower (for a time; once surface moisture is gone all bets are off, but this does not occur with typical cooks). Because temps at the surface will hit the caramelization point eventually, if not the burn point, expect significant darkening (for me, not an issue with brisket), but not burning.

Cool, thanks Kevin, I'm doing Smoke and Spice's Coffee Cardamom rub and it calls for 1/2 cup brown sugar, figured I'd use turibinado vs. the brown sugar.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Has anyone ever used turbinado sugar when using the HH method? I'll be running my cooker around 325. Thoughts?

Larry, where do you want to add the sugar? And why? I only use turbinado sugar in my BBQ but not on beef.

Mark

Larry, where do you want to add the sugar? And why? I only use turbinado sugar in my BBQ but not on beef.
In the rub/paste. It's a recipe that I've done many times low and slow and absolutely love the results, and it gets rave reviews. As I stated above, the recipe calls for brown sugar, however I'm concerned about the sugar burning and have read turbinado will hold-up to heat better than others, thus my substitution and question.

You can see the entire recipe HERE. I cut the salt way back and use Kevin K's method of salting vs. including in the rub.

Looks good.

Sometime try a fenugreek addition to that. 2 tablespoons, finely ground. (If you make the sauce too, add some to that.)

Let us know how it goes.

Larry, I see. Looks good. I am going to try. That's what I love about this site, new ideas just keep on coming.

Mark

Zero issues with the sugar, worked out great and brisket was kick ***. My two kids who are visiting who are NOT coffee fans loved it. Son even asked how he could get more of the "black stuff" that was on the outside of the brisket.

I'll post some pictures once SO gets home with the camera.

SLIDESHOW

Well this high heat brisket method is amazing!! First ever packer brisket. It was so simple and turned out tender and juicy.

And this was done on my large Big Green Egg. I am now a believer of this method. Talk about time saving!

Has anyone else had any issues with fires (no joke) when smoking two briskets? Last time I did two I had a serious grease fire.... Not sure if this was a fluke or if theres a way to prevent this, etc. I'll be smoking two tomorrow for a big gathering and would rather not have any flames brisket.... So any tips are welcome! Thanks!

Is this a trick question?! With aluminum foil...?? :)

Seriously -- I just coat the water pan with foil (maybe 2-3 layers)... and that's it. Is there something else I should be doing? The smoke is starting in 1.5 hours... so any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT:

So, your question made me suspect that I was missing something.... so I re-read (closely) the part of the original high heat article that outlines the method for foiling the pan:

"Foil the inside of the water pan, then line with a second sheet of foil suspended about 1" above the bottom of pan. The air space created will help prevent the brisket drippings from burning during the high-heat cook."

Missed that part.... ok, will be sure to do that. Thanks!!

Thanks again!!

There you go.

If you wish to support the upper sheet of foil you can put a few balls of crumpled foil in the pan before putting on the top sheet. This helps to maintain the air space with the heavier amount of fat generated by two briskets.

Thanks for the great (as always) advice Kevin. I'm trying out the coffee/ancho rub today... very excited to see how it turns out. I made an espresso bbq sauce to go with it... should be interesting!

- Mark

Originally posted by Tylor S.:
How many people will 10-12 pounds (uncooked) feed? Is there a formula or a rule of thumb to adhere to?
Tylor, I figure 50% loss with packers due to trim and moisture loss from cooking. Figure at least 4oz serving per person if you have plenty of sides and maybe a second meat. If not figure more.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Hello everyone. I'm currently working on my first 10lb. high heat brisket. The beast hit 170 in about 1 hour 45 minutes. I foiled it in a pan and it quickly hit 190 in about 30 minutes. I know from previous readings to ignore this temperature and base it on the tenderness test.

My question is what is the shortest time anyone has achieved tenderness after foiling?

Steve, having never cooked a full packer less than 12 lbs, I estimate 2 hrs in foil. I have cooked smaller trim pieces and they were done in 1-1 1/2
hrs. Don't worry about the time. COOK TILL DONE!!!!

Let us know how she turned out.

Mark

Steve, Mark is pretty close on the time. Once wrapped I check every 45 minutes or so till it's done

I posted this in the BBQ section but just realized this thread might be more appropriate! Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks!

Hey Guys/Gals,

So I am attempting my first brisket flat this Saturday. I went to a local butcher and asked for a brisket flat and he ended up trimming it down to 5.35 pounds. I have no idea if it's choice or anything but dang it was expensive..$6.98 per pound! I couldn't believe it when he told me the total cost. Anyways, it seems real thin, it's only about an inch and a half or so thick all the way through. Does that seem too thin? I am going to try the HH method. I understand to pull it and foil it after it hits 170 right? The only thing I am unclear is how soon after I foil it should I check for probe tenderness? Is it pretty obvious when it is tender enough to pull and rest? I am pretty nervous, I don't want to screw it up since it was like $40.00 bucks and it's my first one...Thanks all!

Back