High Heat Brisket Method - A Compilation

Very cool.

I suggest not temping at all after foiling. It is very easy to get numbers that really don't mean anything. A particular number does not 'mean' done, even with low/slow cooks. It might correlate with tender and it very well may not. Because of the change in cooking dynamics that the combo of foil and high temps fosters, temps can jump quickly sometimes (I've foiled 2.5 hours into the cook and had temps of >190 within 10 minutes).

The best way, imo, to know when the brisket is tender and done is to feel it - a probe will enter into the middle of the flat effortlessly. A temp won't tell you this.

Originally posted by MPatti:

Most of my stuff has a weak smoke ring, not just this brisket.

What am I doing wrong?
Are you letting your meats warm first or putting them in cold? Are you waiting for the cooker to get to a specific temp or loading the meat immediately when you dump the lit on the unlit?

Curious on how long this will take if I am only doing a 7.5# flat. Trying to get my timing right for dinner tonight. I have done this method before and it works great but it's been a while.

Buckeye Bob

I don't do flats, but the timing should be similar, ~4 hours. Caveat: While packers may vary in weight, weight is not very operative - overall and average thickness are, and to that end packers don't vary much. The same cannot be said of flats.

The weight of the flat doesn't mean a whole lot - and this goes for low/slow cooks as well - it's the thickness that's key, along with the grade. A 7.5-lb flat that's been 'trimmed' (read: hacked) by the 'butcher' (read: meat department employee) is not the same as a 7.5-lb flat that's been merely separated off the packer and remains otherwise unmolested.

Plan to check for tenderness a bit sooner - about 75 min or so after foiling - and gauge from there.

Need a little help...

I did a 7.5 lb packer HH. Everything went beautifully. The point and the flat underneath the point were nothing short of incredible. Seriously, heaven like.

However, the other portion of the flat was approaching leather, couldn't eat it (not enjoyably). That wasn't a problem since there was only two of us.

Now what do I do. I assume I overcooked it as a whole but if I cooked less then the portion that was good would have been undercooked.

Details... Cooked at 350 till flat under point was 170. Foiled for 75 minutes. Checked for tender with probe (like butter in point and flat under point but not easy in the flat only section.

Thoughts?

I assume I overcooked it as a whole but if I cooked less then the portion that was good would have been undercooked.
Probably not. It depends, though, on the shape of the brisket.

I have heard of 7.5-, 8-, 9-pound packers but have never seen one. Was this in cryo or in retail packaging? Beef just isn't slaughtered that young. I am asking because what I have seen on occasion is briskets in that size range that look somewhat packer-esque, but really aren't. They're trimmed (cut, really) at both ends. Just wondering.

Were the end of the flat end to be very thin it would be possible - maybe - to undercook the other end, but not very likely. However, if you are cooking something other than an actual packer imo you have to treat it like a trimmed flat and that means foiling sooner - 165 if thick, 160-ish if overtrimmed and/or thin.

hmmm. I got it from my butcher. it was pretty heavily trimmed. I thought if the point and flat were still intact it would be considered a packer. Should I ask for an untrimmed packer next time?

Packers are what packinghouses pack - whole brisket with only the deckle removed prior to packing.

If typically sized, your guy removed 40-60% of it.

Ask for a whole packer, still in the cryo. If possible, have a look at all the cryo'd ones he has. Select the one that with the best flat, i.e., a flat that is thick from point to end, rather than one with a flat that thins considerably toward its end.

Has anyone tried injecting using the HH method?? I'm guessing it's not necessary since I haven't seen any mention of it here.

Dave

Yep, I injected with a can of beef broth. (See post on page 2.)

It was good, but I have not done a HHB w/o injecting, so I have no comparison to offer. Maybe I'll try w/o next time.

Thanks Chris, I missed your earlier mention of injecting.

I'm going to try my first HH this weekend and was curious about injecting it.

Originally posted by Dave Elliott:
Has anyone tried injecting using the HH method?? I'm guessing it's not necessary since I haven't seen any mention of it here.

Dave

Dave, did my first comp Brisky Injected with Kosmos beef injection, also did a test cook last weekend with Kosmos. I will most likely inject every time now.

Mark

I've been studying this thread for a long time. Tomorrow is my first high heat brisket! Kevin, I'm surprised that you use so little salt in the wet marinade and dry rub. Is this right? In the past I've sprinkled my brisket with kosher salt (like a light dusting of snow - about 1.5 Tbsp), then added my dry rub. I will be using a wet marinade, follow by a dry rub tomorrow. Should I lesson the amount of salt I use? Thanks.

If you'll see here, the paste, like several others I make, contains ingredients that already contain salt (Worcestershire and the pickled jals; in some I use beef or chicken base) so I add a pinch to the paste and some, if needed, to the rub. Salting as usual, first, risks oversalting. You can salt the meat first with less salt (don't let it sit though) to mitigate this possibility. Since I'm not looking to use the salt to draw moisture so the dry rub sticks well (the paste will do this), I will salt the meat first if making a paste with no salt-containing ingredients, but salt the paste (if necessary) if making a paste that does contain them.

Makes sense. Just put the marinade on tonight, and brisket's back in the frig. I'm up early to start the WSM. Thanks much!

Good day all. I have cooked several HH brisket and both for home and comp. This is the 1st time I noticed this statement in this thread:

"When you are finally done cooking, wrap anew in doubled foil (or foil pan) and stick a good 1 1/2 cups of liquid back in there, unseparated. Separate and de-fat the remainder, if desired, for sauce."

Since I have never added liquid to my final holding package and the meat has come out very nice, juicy, tasteful etc. I am wondering what added benefit I would get by adding juice to the final hold? I also realize I don't need to hold in a package at all but due to limited cooking space and other time issues I do hold at times longer than just 30-40 min tented.

Mark

I am wondering what added benefit I would get by adding juice to the final hold?
I know of no benefit. It's not something I'd do myself. One could certainly hold in liquid, but if the temps are too high the meat will get pot roast-y.

Has anyone ever used turbinado sugar when using the HH method? I'll be running my cooker around 325. Thoughts?

Back