High heat brisket and babybacks at same time

Howdy.

I've spent some time checking out the various threads in regards to the high heat brisket cooks and high heat babyback rib cooks, but I'm having a slight problem reconciling the times.

I have a 4 lb brisket and one good sized (fingertip to elbow) sized rack of babyback ribs. From what I can gather, I can do both at the same temperatures without much of a problem. My plan was to get the fire going, put the brisket on, let it cook for 2 hours, then foil it, then put the ribs on and let everything cook for another 1.5 hours.

Does this sound about right? I lowered the time on the brisket due to the smaller size.

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

sounds like a reasonable plan. but dont get too wrapped up in set cooking times. high heat just means there is less wiggle room between tender/juicy and dry/overcooked.

one of the reasons low and slow was used way back was to allow a lot of time between when the meat was done and when it was served. low and slow beef can hang out on a pit a lot longer once it is done than hot and fast before it is cut.

what that means to the mdern bbq nut like us is you have to make much more frequent checks for tender when using the hot and fast method. but like low and slow time is not set in stone.

Thanks for the input Jon.

After doing more research to figure out which rib recipe to go with, I'm starting to second guess things. I don't want to serve dry ribs just for the sake of convenience. I'll have my gasser there too, so maybe I'll just make the ribs on it, skip the smoke and just plan on having everything be done at the same time, just with lower heat for the ribs.

Your plan sounds quite workable to me. Jon is right that the done window is narrower. But it is not so narrow that one needs to be worried about it. If you foil to finish you'll have even cooking, and it is easier to avoid hitting the overcooked mark.

If one cooks till tender -- in this case both the brisket and the ribs -- which means checking for tender and not simply cooking by the clock, one avoids undercooked or overcooked.

Thanks Kevin.

Yeah, I figured I'd sacrifice a slab of ribs to the great and powerful Gods of BBQ Experimentation. I'll foil the brisket to the finish, put the ribs on when the brisket gets foiled and then just check everything within an each of its life.

Back