High end dutch oven

Even though it's an older thread, it's an interesting question in the original post. I've often wondered the same thing about the price differential in Dutch Ovens. We have two of them. One is a Tramontina and it's round. I think my wife found it on a vlearnce rack at TJ Maxx or some such place. It appears quite well made if you can get past the purple color.
Have another in our beach house, it's 5 or 6 quarts and I bought it at Aldi for $30. It's actually fairly well made and has held up quite well over the 5-6 years we've had it. Although neither see very much use.
We had another that we gave to my daughter...it was cast aluminum and was a Magnalite....not yo be confused with the large 4 D cell battery flashlight I carried as a cop...Maglite😉

Had a Le Creuset baking dish crack completely in half for no reason in a 350F oven. Kind of soured me on the brand, though I know that they are generally highly thought of and worthy of the praise in most cases.
My Lodges and Tramontinas work very well for us and have held up well.

Had a Le Creuset baking dish crack completely in half for no reason in a 350F oven. Kind of soured me on the brand, though I know that they are generally highly thought of and worthy of the praise in most cases.
My Lodges and Tramontinas work very well for us and have held up well.
Was it cast iron, or was it ceramic stoneware?

A buddy of mine was making rice in a Le Creuset and his method is the “pilaf” method but rather than heating the rice in oil and adding the hot stock he used cold water, the enamel peeled back exposing the cast iron underneat. That was very expensive rice! (BIG pot $300.00!)
He was surprised, when he related the story, I saw where it was going and just cringed. I tend to let him bring me a beer when he wants to help in the kitchen.

I don’t think Le Creuset makes any stoneware, it’s all enameled cast iron.
I may be mistaken.
I just looked at their site, all the stoneware is smaller pieces, pie pans, casseroles etc. the Dutch ovens are all enamel over iron.

It was stoneware. I know we're talking about Dutch ovens, but it made me question the quality. I'm sure it was isolated though, as many others have had LC with no problems. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.

I will say that the staub cleans up easier than my cheap one, I followed the directions of "seasoning" the inside and ive cooked roasts- multiple chicken dishes, chili , country style ribs. None of the meats stuck to the bottom or walls, other brands I considered were the crockpot brand- tramontina- lodge- marquette castings .

It was stoneware. I know we're talking about Dutch ovens, but it made me question the quality. I'm sure it was isolated though, as many others have had LC with no problems. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.
I have a Le C. stoneware piece I got from a discount store, it has held up well for many years, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it broke tomorrow; thats just stoneware. I definitely wouldn’t pay full price. To me, that Lodge 5.5q Dutch oven is a gem.

Last edited:

Back