Hickory

Tim Jordan

TVWBB Member
How long can you keep split hickory for cooking as long as it's covered up and dry ? I'm thinking about buying a whole cord if the price is right .

I would think you could use the wood for two years or more. Why would you need a cord of wood? The wsm requires only a few chunks per cook. Instead of a huge pile of hickory, consider obtaining a few different woods. Peach is available at local orchards....

Tim,hate to even say this but I've had hickory slabs and cut pieces in a dry, covered place for well over 10 years. Still use it on my cooks. Some people may differ with me but I don't think ,if you take care of it, the wood goes bad. It dries out but I can still smell the great aroma and taste hickory when I smoke with it
icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the info, it does seem to petrify ,just wanted to see if you get the same flavor . Steve I still cook on the WSM with bags of various wood especially when I'm trying something new , but I cook most of my quantity on the Klose catering rig .That peach wood sounds awful good in fact I've thought about adding a peach sauce in addition to the tomatoe and mustard I us on the BBQ .Mason Mixon down in Georgia uses nothing but peach wood ,guess you need alot of those small branches .It's gettin warm outside BBQ season will be kicking into full throttle soon even though most of us do it year round ,I can just smell the ribs and butts cooking now .

Tim, Paul is right about keeping wood dry and covered...it will last a long time. I sometimes make assumptions...

So you shouldn't let wood get wet? Whoops. I have about 20 fireplace sized cherry logs that I left out in the snow and rain all year. Does this mean it is ruined...I hope not.

Bill, I don't think it's ruined.I've got some maple and oak sitting outside right now seasoning just like yours.I'll probably split it this spring and add to my stash.I was too lazy to cut it up in the fall. I used to keep my firewood outside on wooden skids propped off the ground with cement blocks. I covered the wood with a tarp to keep it dry so we could burn it at anytime. There may be some other issues such as burn time if and when you want to use it.The wood I cook with I treat differently. I keep them in plastic barrels , boxes or plastic bags off the ground in my shed.

This is my smoke wood. Checked it today. Seems dry and in good shape. Picked up some apple on the way home today. Stopped by a local orchard and asked if they had any apple wood. Said they were out. I told her I wanted it for smoking, she said "that's all you need". She sent me over to a brush pile full of trimmed off limbs, about arm thickness. She told me to take all I want. Worked out pretty good.

Back