1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder

2 tsp safflower or canola oil
2 cups mixed nuts: almonds, cashews, pecans
1 handful of soaked Hickory wood chips

1 Prepare a charcoal fire for 400f. I started 18 Royal Oak briquettes in the Go Anywhere.

2 Mix the sugar, oil, and spices well. Add nuts and stir to coat well. I mixed everything in an 8 inch cast iron pan, but a stainless steel tray or aluminum pan would work as well.

3 Add the Hickory chips and set the pan over indirect heat to roast for 20-25 minutes. Part way through give it a stir and rotate the pan.

4 Remove the pan with gloves and let it cool. Wait until the nuts have cooled down to room temperature. They will be crunchier!

If you have any leftovers, store in an airtight container for freshness. (Edited for Chris) =D

Last edited:
I smoke nuts almost every year for Christmas, some is given out as gifts. I do a few different recipes.
I have found low temperatures for a few hours help get some smoke flavour into the nuts.
High temps can over roast the nuts, resulting in an almost burnt taste.
Just my experience.

I read the title as smoked hickory nuts! My gasser and electric smoker are on the deck under a hickory tree, so I occasionally grill or smoke the nuts that fall in. Haven't tried eating them yet...

Mack, that could be funny -- or not. 😆 In the upper corner of our property, we have 3-4 acres with lots of big, old hickories. The nuts dropping in could be funny. Trying to crack them is not! The best I could get is smashed hickory nuts. With hardly any meat mush.

Know this is an old post but just made a batch of these to the recipe above. Absolutely delicious. Probably will be gone by Christmas so gonna have to make some more!

Thanks for bumping this Richard! I was trying to think of something snacky aside from the seven batches of Chex mix, these would be lovely!
I have not made those in a couple of years!

Back