Hickory Addict

Benny L.

TVWBB Fan
Not too much to this post, other than to just say I Love Hickory.

I'm a Texas guy, so of course I'm used to eating BBQ smoked over hickory. When I used to try smoking on my grill, I'd use hickory and mesquite chips because that's what the grocery store sold. When I graduated to the WSM last spring I learned about other smoke woods, and for over a year I experimented with oak, maple, cherry, apple, and alder for various recipes. I wanted to force myself to try a bunch of new things to see what else was out there. (On the same token, I've leaned you can make a dry rub with more than just brown sugar, black pepper, paprika and cayenne
icon_wink.gif
)

After a solid year without one single hickory smoke, I decided to pick up a bag. I imagine the effect was similar to an alcoholic getting out of rehab and immediately popping the top on an ice cold beer. I threw in a little bit with some cherry for a turkey I was smoking, and that aroma just did the trick. For the Fourth I threw in a bit with the oak for my loin back ribs... very nice. I need to go ahead and indulge in a brisket that I absolutely nuke in a hickory mushroom cloud. Maybe it's memories of "helping" my dad cook as a kid, or eating BBQ at summer picnics, but that hickory scent and flavor just puts a twinkle in my eye and a spring in my step.

Anyhow, the point of the story is that I had always used hickory because that's what I was "supposed" to use, but I took the time to learn how to use a whole lot of others... and in the end I can say I still LOVE hickory. (Don't know if it's genetic, an addiction, or what.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benny L.:I took the time to learn how to use a whole lot of others... and in the end I can say I still LOVE hickory. (Don't know if it's genetic, an addiction, or what.
icon_biggrin.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto...
icon_wink.gif

I gotta give hickory another shot.

When I was a younger lad, the Mrs. and I volunteered to host and cook Thanksgiving for the family for the first time. I saw my dad que up a bird many times with great results and figured I could handle it.

When it came time to do the Tday bird, at the last minute, I threw in some hickory chunks I was using for the outdoor fireplace. Keep in mind at this point in my culinary life I had NEVER smoked anything. I put so much friggin hickory in the Weber kettle I completely ruined the bird. From that day on I haven't used hickory.

Now a Tday doesn't go by when I don't hear..."Hey remember your Hickory bird". I have since redeemed myself on the Tday cook.

Now that I have the WSM and gotten some experience under my belt with smoking I think I should give hickory another shot.

I found that mixing Apple and Hickory wood chunks on the smoker gives me great results. It has a very nice balance to the smoke flavor in the meats.

Hickory is good. Alot of people say it's too strong, but I find it sweet too, I really like it. Pecan is prob my fav but Hickory is right up there also.
icon_smile.gif

I've used it alot and I don't like it. Too strong. I have huge bags of the stuff if anyone near me wants it.

What kind o' Texan doesn't use mesquite!!???
icon_eek.gif
For me, if it's beef or bison, there's got to be a touch of mesquite in the mix.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Benny, I've always said if they could only bottle that smell in an aftershave.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nirvana Hickory aftershave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Benny, I've always said if they could only bottle that smell in an aftershave.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nirvana Hickory aftershave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO

I think hickory rocks. Particularly with pork. It is strong, and it will overwhelm a lighter flavored smoke wood, but I love it.

Back