Hi from London

Ying

Hi
As the title says I'm from London and have just got a 47cm wsm.
Had a little burn on it this morning to see how it behaves and learnt a bit so tomorrow a whole chicken and a small pork shoulder, could anyone give me an idea on cooking times for these two bits.
Thanks ,
Ying.

Welcome aboard Ying!

A chicken will take a lot less time to cook than a pork shoulder.
I suggest you check out the cooking topic page, click here.
Good luck!

Welcome Ying, just browse through this site and don't be afraid to ask questions, this is a really friendly helpful place.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the link guys.
Looking at the link my 4lb chicken will take somewhere in the region of 4 hours, do you think a small 2lb bit of shoulder will be done in this time or need a bit longer?

Welcome aboard Ying. I guest I will have to master the metric system. Should have done that 40 years ago. Nice to have you.

I think your piece of shoulder will take about that long give or take... If either is done first, just wrap them in foil and let them start resting while the other finishes. You can put it in an empty cooler, or just put it in the oven/microwave or other insulated place so it will hold the heat (even wrapped in a towel on the counter works well). The good thing with the whole chicken and pork shoulder is that they both have enough fat to make them pretty versatile and forgiving. I had a brisket done and resting and everyone was running late, so I let it rest in the oven, which was still warm from something else that was just made. The oven was turned off but the residual heat made for a great resting environment.

I'm sure it will turn out great! And of course, welcome aboard!

I think your piece of shoulder will take about that long give or take... If either is done first, just wrap them in foil and let them start resting while the other finishes. You can put it in an empty cooler, or just put it in the oven/microwave or other insulated place so it will hold the heat (even wrapped in a towel on the counter works well). The good thing with the whole chicken and pork shoulder is that they both have enough fat to make them pretty versat'around orgiving. I had a brisket done and resting an. everyone was running late, so I let it rest in the oven, which was still warm from something else that was just made. The oven was turned off but the residual heat made for a great resting environment.

I'm sure it will turn out great! And of course, welcome aboard!

Thanks JSchlegelmilch that is what I ended up doing the chicken was ready after 4 hours but the pork needed around 5 amd I got an internal temp of 190f and it was nice but didnt pull, what causes it not to pull?

It is the breakdown of the fat and connective tissue that causes it to pull. There is a lot of internal fat in the shoulder, but I am wondering if you had a leaner piece cut out of the shoulder? If it doesn't rest long it can be tougher to pull as well, but it probably has to do with the cut of meat. In any case glad it still tasted good and everything worked out!
-Jeff

Back