Hi Everyone

Hi, I'm Wayne from So Cal. Just got serious about smoking this month. My neighbor / friend asked me a month ago to enter a kcbs comp with him on the 28th. I'll be doing the Pork Butt. before that my specialty was burning hamburgers to charcoal.
Beginning of the month I bought a 22.5 WSM. I've modded it with an Auber PID, and a CB door. I was using a Maverick ET 735 until it fell in the water today. Didn't like anyways.
Ordered an Mk4 today.
I've read Starting the Fire and Meatheads book, most things on this forum and Amazing Ribs, Watched a lot of youtube on competition pork butts.
Just smoked my fifth one today. Haven't got one up over 170 yet. They've all tasted and looked ok.
I'd post some pics but don't see how to do it.
Looking forward to sharing ideas with everyone.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Wayne... I take it the comp is Newport. If so, might see you there. Both the wife & I will be in the "tent".
If you do cook it... Here's wishing You and the Team, BBQ Excellence !

Bob

Welcome to the forum Wayne and good luck on the comp. Hey Bob, I'm thinking of taking the KCBS judges class in May. Any suggestions or recommendations?

JR...

Excellent !!! I think you will enjoy it. Loads of fun !

Go in with an open mind. You will be taught what to look for and how to judge based strictly on the KCBS rules in place at that time.

Welcome to the forum Wayne. This is a great place to learn and everyone here is very friendly. Good luck at the comp.

Back