HH Turkey with an ATC??

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I am planning on doing another HH turkey this Thanksgiving and want to use my new Stoker to help. Has anyone used any ATC device while cooking a turkey around 325-350? If so, I was wondering how much lit coals were used? I was planning on at least one full charcoal chimney of lit over some unlit. Or should I not use the Stoker and open the vents and crack the side door as I did last year? Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Tim

I didn't use an ATC when I did my test turkey last week, but I did used 2 lit chimneys and I hit 400 as soon as I assembled the WSM. I closed 2 vents and just barley cracked the 3rd to brig down the temp to 350. When I do the turkey again I will use an ATC and maybe use 1 to 1 - 1/2 lit chimneys and let the ATC bring up the temp to 350. Hope that helps you. Let us know what you do when you cook the turkey and post the results.

I think I used an ATC once on my bird and I was so worried that the temps would get away from me (they didn't) and fry my probes I never used it again. I'll go back and see if I have a cook log from that Thanksgiving and post my findings.

Thanks for the advice! I will use the ATC as I'm sure it will keep the temp around the 350 I'm looking for. I know when I smoked my turkey last year, my temps were anywhere between 300-350 without the ATC, so this year I really want to get closer to the 350 and stay there and I feel the ATC will help. I was just wondering if anyone had used one in the past for a turkey with HH. Thanks for all the help! Blessings!

Tim

When I did my practice run a few weeks back I used 2 lit chimneys of 75/25 lump and kingsford. I had all the vents open and had to crack the lid to hit 340-350. I think up here where it is a bit colder you may need to start out with more lit, or you will be waiting for the unlit to get going to put the meat on

Yeah, looking at the weather for Thanksgiving, they are showing a high temp of about 30-35 degrees! I am planning on wrapping the middle section of the smoker with my water heater insulation (Harry Soo style), and I am planning on 1.5 to 2 chimneys of lit. Looks like winter is coming early in NW Ohio!!

Back