HH Method, Getting the Temp Up

Curt

TVWBB Fan
With the new arch-top opening on the WSM, propping the door open old-school style isn't an option. I'm thinking of using a desktop fan and directing its flow into one of the bottom vents, not enough to stir embers and ash, but sufficient to increase the oxygen supply. This, in theory, should allow me to get the temps I need for High Heat.

Does this make sense, or am I off-base?

you can crack the lid too (off set it just a little), and/or leave the door open.

What are you cooking, what temp are you seeking, water pan empty?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
you can crack the lid too (off set it just a little), and/or leave the door open.

What are you cooking, what temp are you seeking, water pan empty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to leave the door off completely, which is the only option I see with the arched door opening. And I guess I could crack the lid. I'm just looking for a decent workaround, and I have a little fan handy.

I'm shooting for 325-375 for the HH brisket cook.

It's all about air intake. Since the fan will supply more air I don't see how that wouldn't work.

Curt add an additional top vent for more exhuast, that will double ur air intake, that means more air thru the coals which equal hotter temps.

That idea will definitely work. How do you plan on mounting it to the bottom vent so it doesn't get too hot and melt? You could simply mount it to a metal pipe six to eight inches long and about three inches in diameter. You could even fashion one out of heavy duty aluminum foil as it won't get hot enough to ignite the foil.

I have a new 22.5" and an older 18.5" and with both I just flip the door upside down and prop it open with a stick. This consistently gives me the 335 - 375 degrees F I look for with brisket or chicken thighs.

I thought about adding another top vent, but I'm a butcher when it comes to fabrication.

I'm not going to mount the fan. I have an old ammo box that's just the right height on which to sit the fan and direct the airflow into a bottom vent. I can get closer if I need more air, or back off if it's getting too much. I'd love to be able to flip the door, but the arched top on the opening prevents this.

Back