Hey my fellow gasers! Question for regarding an old school 330 and a NG fitting

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Just dragged home a nice 330 Genesis Special Edition. I couldnt wait to shine that green hood and scrape the ole gal down. It wasnt long before I realized I had scooped up a winner for $50......Everything is going well for her first hour in my care....then I noticed what looks like a NG fitting and hose. My assumption is that this was not a NG but the owner converted it....I am also " assuming " that the owner did not know what they were doing and that they did not replace the orifices sp? . Now thats just a wild guess because certainly this model came in NG and propane but I have never seen so much mangled NG line installed before...it is usually just a long rubber hose attached that runs through the back. So please educate me....how can I tell if this has been converted properly or not? I again will " assume " that when I remove the mangled additional line and expose the normal flare fitting that I could just hook a propane regulator to the line and see how she burns. I seem to remember " The Bruce " saying one time that I could see if a certain size drill bit fit in the orifice and if it didnt I must acquit. Any other tips for me ????
Another question about the 330 please. Inside the cook box on the inner knob side of the box direct above yet mounted to the inner wall of the cook box over the three close burners...sear burner included...looks like what was a heat shield of some kind. On my example the shield was destroyed....I can fabricate a shield to replace but I just wanted to make sure its purpose was as a heat shield??? If so why didnt they put one on the back of the box too? I am " assuming " because the gas line and plastic knobs ......and even the user is at the front of the grill.......???????????? Oh I forgot to mention...I didnt buy it from the owner...I purchased from one of the movers that took it because the family had to leave it. There was another clue under the grill that led to all of my assumptions.....there was a propane regulator laying on the bottom of the grill not attached to anything....

20220217_202356.jpg20220217_202404.jpg

Does the cabinet have a cut out for the tank?

Like this? This one is LP

20220217_193048.jpg

Last edited:
The second crinkled up hose is not factory.

You can connect a standard LP hose and regulator to the fitting and mount the tab to the frame.

So the only remaining question is how do I determine if the previous owner converted the orifices to NG? I know they are diff sizes....but whats the trick to really know?

I have both original NG and LP.

I can look at my NG. LP are a little more work to look at as they are in use.

Have to tell you back when my sister and BIL bought their new Weber in NG it came with that exact same hookup. I know because I did the whole install for them

Thanks....dont go to too much trouble or disassemble anything..........I will remove their NG extension hose first and hook a regulator to it with new burners installed and just do a flame check.
Larry did you convert it? I think this flipper was just hooked to NG but I am doubting the orifices were swapped for NG

Thanks....dont go to too much trouble or disassemble anything..........I will remove their NG extension hose first and hook a regulator to it with new burners installed and just do a flame check.
Larry did you convert it? I think this flipper was just hooked to NG but I am doubting the orifices were swapped for NG
Nope it was ordered brand new when the new front control models first came out. It came fresh outta the box as NG. And it had the exact same line and hookup

Hmmmmmm as the scale tips towards NG........I will have to check for the glory hole for the propane tank on the shelf......I will assume your NG had no glory hole for the tank correct? Can I also assume that yours didnt come with a regulator?

Hmmmmmm as the scale tips towards NG........I will have to check for the glory hole for the propane tank on the shelf......I will assume your NG had no glory hole for the tank correct? Can I also assume that yours didnt come with a regulator?
No tank hole and no regulator on hers. Instructions said IIRC to be sure to use a gas line regulated to 7"WC with a caveat to be sure to have gas company tech inspect it

Ok guys thanks for the replies.........If I have the glory hole I will assume propane and converted to NG......then I will do a test run with a regulator hooked up and do a flame check.
Last question..................if it is NG and I hook it up to a propane tank will the flames be weaker or stronger on a propane tank? Obviously I know what they are supposed to look like on propane but not NG

If it is truly a NG grill and you hook up a propane tank it will run REALLY hot. About 60% higher than it should. LP has about 40% more energy per volume and also runs at 35% higher pressure. So do the math. It'll be a flame thrower. No harm if all you're doing is testing a short time. Don't "run" it like that though

Have to tell you back when my sister and BIL bought their new Weber in NG it came with that exact same hookup. I know because I did the whole install for them
Good to know.

Mine had a grey hose, it's a 2016 and the hose was the same grey rubber or vinyl plastic hose that was on a 1998 Platinum 2000.

Yep I will stand back :)
Yes Dan I have seen the gray hose set up many times. I think it might be however the dealer purchases them and sets them up for sale......or maybe just different batches from Weber....

Jim, I think you are on the right track. The way I test Genesis 1000 and Silver B grills is to use a 3/64" drill bit. If the shank of the bit fits in the orifice hole, it is NG. If it does not fit, it is LP. However, I do not know for sure if Weber uses the same size orifices on the E3xx grills as they did on the 1000's and Silver B's.

There he is....." The Bruce " ! Yep I knew I remembered you saying something about a drill bit ............You guys are great I appreciate all of the replies!

Back