here's what 1000 degrees does to a performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
Whooops

meltedperformer.jpeg

UPDATE: I think i figured out why this happened.
I have a habit leaving the lid open a few inches, with the lid resting on the rollers. It leaves an inch or more open on one side, which allows a lot of air in for the fire, but keeps the heat in.

I was doing this yesterday mid-cook to get the temps up after adding a few more lumps. It was then that i noticed the warbled vision from the heat coming from under the lid near the rollers and the lid holder.

This is most likely why my rollers melted :\

Please tell the full story here. Did you have the charcoal piled on that side of the grill? Did you call Weber for warranty replacement parts?

charcoal wasn't piled on either sides.
both sides are melted (this side being worse)

i had about a chimney and a half of lump burning (and stoked) to sear up some fresh tuna steaks

i had done this cook before, but this time i used more charcoal because i was cooking for 8 instead of 4.
My charcoal grate is also bowl shaped now, but i'm not going to complain about that
icon_biggrin.gif

yes I sent weber some photos tonight. I haven't heard back yet.

***!!!!!!!! MY performer is 10 years old and I've had it FULL with blazing lump (10+ lbs worth) and have never had any kind of issue! I hope they replace the whole kettle for you Troy!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Meredith:
***!!!!!!!! MY performer is 10 years old and I've had it FULL with blazing lump (10+ lbs worth) and have never had any kind of issue! I hope they replace the whole kettle for you Troy!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said ^^^. Somethings wrong with your performer if you did that with charcoal. It's a charcoal grill. It's made to hold burning charcoal. Unless there is more to this story, I think you have a new grill coming (...or at least a lot of new parts to your old one.)

Did your gauge read 1000 degrees? It makes sense the plastic would melt. I really don't think Webers are meant to handle 1000 degrees. Why so hot anyways? You could get a great sear in the 500-600 degree mark.

1000 degrees is mighty hot, But why'd you use a 1/2 chimmeny more? i know you said 8 people instead of four but it don't make sense to me...you can cook for 20+ people if your just cooking tuna it takes no time at all.

i'm assuming temps were between 900 and 1000.
a few years ago i did some sear comparisons using some cheap tuna steaks and one of those infrared thermometers.

i can get a really great sear in one minute or less when the coals are over 900.

hot and fast is important for tuna, so it stays nice and red in the middle.

as for why more. i needed more uber hot area to cook 8 steaks instead 4.
It was a dinner party, i wanted all the food to be done at the same time, and i wanted it all to be hot
icon_smile.gif

Mine did the same thing and I've never been over about 600 degrees. An email to Weber and 48 hours produced a new set of rollers on my doorstep. I think Don Cash's melted too.

Wow! That blows me away that it can happen!Thanks for the pics, I am going to stop using those sides of the grill.I never gotten up to 1000 degrees though.

I ALWAYS bank my coals to that side. Never had a problem with it. If they melt for ya Weber Will replace them.

But by doing this the other side of the kettle will save up some grease in the bowl. So when you are using the middle part of the kettle count on a grease fire.

first, how were the tuna steaks?
icon_smile.gif

That's impressive. I can get my brick pizza oven up to 1000+ but it takes a while. Pizzas will char in <1min. I now do the pizzas at about 700-800. I would have imagined that it would take a lower temp to do tuna.

I'm sure Weber will send out the replacements you need. Their CS rocks. I'm almost embarassed to call them now since they have have not charged for many things I have called them about.

Hey Ashish I've got a brick oven too! 1000 degrees takes a LOT of fuel!

Troy, have you considered searing those beasts on top of the charcoal chimney? I do that for a HIGH heat sear. I have a small grate that sits on top of the lit chimney, and it's like searing on a jet engine.

Stan

the tuna steaks were awesome, some of the best I had

we like our really raw in the middle (hence the crazy obnoxious heat)

i normally do it over the chimney, but since i was cooking 8 of them this time i used the whole grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UPDATE: I think i figured out why this happened.
I have a habit leaving the lid open a few inches, with the lid resting on the rollers. It leaves an inch or more open on one side, which allows a lot of air in for the fire, but keeps the heat in.

I was doing this yesterday mid-cook to get the temps up after adding a few more lumps. It was then that i noticed the warbled vision from the heat coming from under the lid near the rollers and the lid holder.

This is most likely why my rollers melted :\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Those "rollers" really should be made out of metal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have seen these rollers melt on multiple grills. It's definitely something that Weber could easily fix. Aluminum comes to mind..

I've melted the palstic sleeves on my Performer and my Master Touch Gold. It's only really a cosmetic problem, so it doesn't bother me.

-Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back