Herb Crusted Prime Rib

Art B

TVWBB Super Fan
So I noticed that my local supermarket had Choice rib roasts, so I picked one up and tried the Herb Crusted recipe from the cooking topics page. It was about 3.5 lbs. Used standard method, foil in the pan, four medium-small alder chunks. Used the Guru to hold the cooker at 350*. Cooked the meat to 110* (about 1-3/4 hours), rested for 30 minutes.

DELICIOUS! Although I think I'll use kosher salt instead of the Lawry's next time -- whatever they put in that stuff got in the way of the fresh herbs somewhat. I also chopped the herbs the old fashioned way -- needless to say, afterwards the Wife asked me whay I hadn't used the food processer. She had a point, since it would have made for a smoother paste (and would've taken me a fraction of the time).

Bottom line, thanks again Chris, for posting a winner. I'll definitely be doing this one again.

Seems like rib roasts were all over this past weekend--my local market had some beauts on sale, along with lamb roasts, fresh and ready-to-cook hams, turkey breasts--all on sale. I'm kicking myself for not picking up several things to stick in the freezer since we don't often get the selection nor the sales.

Your roast sounds great. The herb treatment is definitely a winner, no?

Art,

Which supermarket is it? I get to Brooklyn every now and then to visit the in-laws. I was born/raised in Brooklyn (Marine Park area).

Staten Island rarely has anything that thrills me for quality or price.

Thanks.
Art

Art, congrats on your cook. I've done a couple of them now and they are fantastic! I'm sitting here munching carrots envious.

A couple of suggestions for ya: you can crisp the outside of roast under the broiler (briefly) after rest in foil (thanks Keith H.) and I really like a Knorr packaged sauce mix with it, named something like Rosemary Garlic & Red Wine. It goes really well with the recipe.

One more thought, I've used Hy's instead of Lawry's only because that's what I had on hand but I might try Hickory Smoked Salt instead now that I have some.

On edit: however you may be on to something here ... maybe just Kosher salt instead of seaoned salt (iodized) would allow more of the herb taste through.

I usually use kosher or sea salt whenever I BBQ. However, I never did it because I thought it was better than iodized salt. I always assumed salt was salt. Can you really taste a difference?

Art, I found the roast at the Key Food on Atlantic Avenue and Clinton Street (Brooklyn Heights). It's not something that they have often, although they seem to always have picnic roasts and spare ribs (sometimes 1/2 racks, sometimes whole, but rarely more than 3 or 4 at a time). It is not a great market, otherwise. If you want the pure deliciousness (and are willing to pay a little more for it), go down Court Street a few blocks south of Atlantic, and stop by Staubitz' Meats. I usually only get "special occasion" meats there, but it's worth the trip.

Shawn, I like the idea of crisping the fat cap -- although I would worry about charring the herb crust. I suppose I could crisp it prior to rubbing...

And Phil, you can absolutely taste the difference. Next time you do ribs (or anything else where you are doing multiples of essentially the same thing), experiment using different types of salt in the rub. I use Kosher salt in my BRITU rub all the time, just because I prefer the taste.

Back