Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
If I wanted to serve pulled pork for a dinner this Saturday at about 5 PM, do you recommend cooking over night then reheating? Or should I get up at about 4 AM to start cooking. My local grocer has 6 to 7 pound bone-in pork butts. I have never smoked a butt and am eager to do it right. I don?t mind getting up early to start it if that will produce the best product for dinner. I am open to any recommendations?

Don't jam yourself up. Pulled pork reheats easily and well. Either re-warm in an oven or microwave low (30%) in a shallow dish checking every couple of minutes. A tablespoon of apple juice or broth, or even plain water per serving helps moistness.

Figure 1 1/2 hours per pound. Put it on at 6:00am and you should be ok. I usually try to cook the day ahead of time so the pulling and mess are all done with, then just reheat. 6-7 pound butts are kind of little guys and should go pretty quick.

Absolutely do a night cook. If you start later, say 10:00 p.m. you may not have to reheat. You'll probably finish around 2:00 p,m. the next day and that would be a perfect time to foil and hold in an ice chest till you're ready. Believe me, you don't want the stress of hoping it will get ready in time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

I'll throw in a third vote for overnight. Give yourself plenty of time because, to quote others, "it's done when it's done." Time is just a guideline when it comes to Q.
----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

A couple weekends ago, I did 14lbs. of pork butt
and froze all 7lbs. (finished product) for the
following weekend. I thawed (the bag of meat)
in cold water the morning before it was to be served and then reheated in a slow-cooker (nesco) with a half cup of water. I could hardly tell the difference between this and the fresh stuff.
In my opinion, this is the best alternative
to doing an overnighter and having it fresh out
of the smoker.

Yet another opinion....

This is the perfect time for a 24 hr. smoke! Of course I have only done this with the 8 lbers. I get from Sam's.

Start that bad boy at 5pm the night before. Cook for around 2 hrs./lb at a grate level temp of 225?. This should take about 14-16 hrs.(assuming it is 7lb.) That will bring your time to around 9am.

Once the butt is done, foil it, close all the vents in the smoker and put the butt back in. I have held butts like this for many hours.

One reason I like this method is because I like to pull the pork when the guests are present. They will see you pull it off the smoker and then you can tell them it has cooked for 24 hrs! They will be awe struck! It just makes a nice little show and the smell is incredible. Plus, it guarantees that dinner will be ready when the guests arrive.

Now if you don't want to hold it that long, start a few hours later.......say 8 or 9pm. The biggest advantage I have seen is that nearly ALL the fat renders during this prolonged holding period.

Stogie,

When you wrap in foil and put back on the smoker, do you get a bunch of grease when you unwrap? Do you leave or punch any holes in the foil?

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks for all the information! This forum is second to none! I went up and bought two Bone in Butts, both 6 1/4 pounds each. I cant wait to try this out!

Pat....

There is some grease but less than you might think. Remember, this is the very last stage of the cooking process, so most of the fat has already rendered and dripped away.

No holes....That may defeat the purpose....you will let all the heat out if you have too many holes. PLUS, I like to have a little pork fat to mix back into the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back