Help

Jono

Hi everyone,

New owner of Weber Q1000 aka baby Q new to grilling and cooking in general tried it out a few times following instructions and well food was burnt outside raw inside my guess is temperatures are all over the place any pointers?

Welcome Jono!

I don't have a Q so I'm not qualified to tell you. It's Sunday but hang in there. The people in the know are sure to chime in soon.

Hi everyone,

New owner of Weber Q1000 aka baby Q new to grilling and cooking in general tried it out a few times following instructions and well food was burnt outside raw inside my guess is temperatures are all over the place any pointers?
Jono, I don't have a 100/1000, but do have a Q220. As with any small grill, there's not much space in there, and the fire is relatively close to the cooking area. You can definitely cook on a 100/1000 without burning everything (see THIS POST) by @Christo C (one of your countrymen) where he cooked a mess of wings that seemed to turn out well.

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are cooking? How did you have the flame set up? Were you turning, how often? Any details are helpful.

There was a great Weber Q cooking guide that was written by another of your countrymen, and I am trying my darnedest to find it. When I started with my Q, it was a bible for me......I'll keep looking and post it here if I find it.

In the meantime, share any additional details you can, and I'm sure that the Q experts will jump in to help!

Rich

Found it!! :)

EDIT: The link I put in earlier does not seem to work. My best recommendation is to google "Captain Cook Q Cookbook" and you should be able to find it. If you are a member of the Aussie BBQ Forum, it looks like you can access the latest copy there.

Last edited:
I don't have any kind of portable grill either, and I didn't realize that these were tricky to cook on. The usual solution to burnt on the outside/raw on the inside with any cooking appliance is lower and slower heat. This could be a flare-up issue also. Also, certain sauces will pretty much turn black no matter what and need to be put on at the very end of cooking.

Hi everyone so I was cooking rump turning at 4 min mark, I had the flame at the highest no sauces food looked amazing inside and was raw internally. My go to set up is half grill half hot plate. Hope that answers everything also was trying to keep the lid down to lock in the flavours etc.

First thing you need is a good thermometer.

Thermoworks is the best in my opinion but you have tons of options.

You need to have a plan when you cook, obviously lowering the heat and checking temps will really help. It gives you the best chance at repeatable results.
Good luck!!

Hi everyone so I was cooking rump turning at 4 min mark, I had the flame at the highest no sauces food looked amazing inside and was raw internally. My go to set up is half grill half hot plate. Hope that answers everything also was trying to keep the lid down to lock in the flavours etc.
Hi Jono. Welcome.
What's the weight of the meat??

Jono, can you post some pics too. Is it a steak or a roast you are cooking? A roast needs to be done indirect with tinfoil on the grate and a trivit/rack on top. Captain Cook was posting regular on the Aussi forum when I started with my Weber Q. Got lots of good tips from him so hunt up his cookbook as Rich suggested. Just Google Phil Hartcher Captain Hook.

Back