Help with Silver B side tables and a stubborn bolt

Thanks again to everyone for the help. The pin has been removed!

I will admit that after three days of continual soaking, with a daily heat and twisting (c-clamp too!) process I still had no luck. Last night, I decided to support the end pieces as best I could and give it some hits with a hammer. After just a few hits, I instantly saw movement and with a few more twists, it was out.

Thanks again for all the help. In conclusion, the PBlaster, heat, and twisting did the trick, but some "coaxing" with a hammer also helped it along. Cheers, all.

They are going to say that all the heating and treating with solvent is what loosened it up. Me, I hit it with a quick shot of penetrating fluid and grab the hammer and punch. Works 95% of the time. Saves a lot of time as well. But, I will admit that if I happen to crack a cook box or other part, it isn't the end of the world for me. I have spares.

You got lucky. IDK why when you spell out explicit instructions people still reach for a hammer when a $4.00 tool will do it with no risk and save an item you might not be able to replace. Just SMH

Well, the bottom line is that you got it out without damaging anything so good job. I've never had to do anything more than gently tap one of those pins out so I can't definitely say what caused yours to be so stubborn. I also can't say which of your methods was the most effective in the removal although I'm a little surprised heating it up didn't work faster.

@Steve Hoch Agreed! I hope I never have to navigate this again! Thanks for the help too.

@LMichaels I totally agree that I got lucky. Your advice on how dangerous of an idea the hammer was is what encouraged me to try so many other things first. Also, your cautionary tale about the cast aluminum breaking off encouraged me to make sure it was adequately supported. I also did try with a c-clamp and just didn't have any success. It was certainly user error. Again, your help is appreciated and is what I tried for several days (which is another indication that I was likely doing something wrong, as I don't believe I had the 1-in-a-hundred stubborn pin). Please don't take it personally. Not my intention.

@Bruce It was almost certainly a combination of everything, and I'm glad your efforts have been successful too. Seeing someone with your experience have success with the hammer was also encouraging over the week-long battle.

Again, I didn't intend for it to be a competition of methods, as we know they both work in different situations. Luckily, this hurdle is behind me, and I genuinely appreciate the conversation on how to work around it. I'm thankful for this forum and don't want my silly update and rookie-experience to ruffle any feathers.

Well actually you tried using a wood clamp. Not the same thing. Just glad for your sake you got lucky. But honestly when the correct tool is only $4.00 I do wonder :D

Thanks again to everyone for the help. The pin has been removed!

I will admit that after three days of continual soaking, with a daily heat and twisting (c-clamp too!) process I still had no luck. Last night, I decided to support the end pieces as best I could and give it some hits with a hammer. After just a few hits, I instantly saw movement and with a few more twists, it was out.

Thanks again for all the help. In conclusion, the PBlaster, heat, and twisting did the trick, but some "coaxing" with a hammer also helped it along. Cheers, all.

@LMichaels did actually snag one. (the correct type of c-clamp this time :)) Didn't post a picture though, which is likely your confusion. Thanks for your advice, it was likely user-error that led to it not working out.

Back