Help with ribs and chicken

eric b

I am going to smoke some chicken and spare ribs tommorow (4/24). I have smoked both but not together. I will be smoking, hopefully, around 225-250 degrees. I have learned on here that with a low temp. smoke the chicken skin will be rubbery. I have also heard you can crisp it up on a grill. Now my question, what is the process to crisp up the skin. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eric b:
I have also heard you can crisp it up on a grill. Now my question, what is the process to crisp up the skin. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never had that work all that well. The skin gets so rubbery at low temps, and even after grilling it for a few minutes, really does nothing for getting crispy skin on the chicken. Just cook the ribs and chicken at high heat, verses low and slow and all will be swell.
icon_wink.gif

Ditto for me on the high heat for both. You can do both really well at high temps, and cut your time drastically too. Chicken low and slow isn't necessary in any occassion. If you are going to stick with low and slow on the ribs, you could always do the birds on a kettle the whole time too.

this weekend i am going to try the way chinese cooking does crispy duck and give it a shot with chicken. if you try this your on your own as i havent tried it myself yet. the way the typical crispy duck goes is you score the skin or make slits in it. rub the skin with salt then season and fry the bird in a skillet for about 10 minutes with just enough oil to coat the bottom. dry the bird then into the broiler. i intend to try this technique by substituting chicken for duck and broiler for the WSM using temps in the 350 range.

i am not sure how this will turn out as duck is a greasier bird than chicken and may have to shorten the fry time a bit. i will prolly use a half chicken to test the technique and make a whole chicken the regular way just to be sure i have something edible for dinner
icon_smile.gif

Back