help with regulator piece (on weber q200)

Andy Leb

Hi

(cross posting this from yahoo answers)

I'm having a problem connecting a propane tank to my grill (Weber Q200). Basically, I inherited the grill from a friend, who used to connect small camping propane canisters to it. I began using it the same way as him, and one day, while I was unscrewing a canister, a pin that opened the canister's valve detached from the regulator assembly but remained lodged in the canister. Thus, when I removed the canister, propane started to rapidly escaping from it, and I thought it might be the end for me! Fortunately, no flame source was nearby...

I lost the pin that was lodged into the canister, which is just as well. Now, I'm trying to hook up a 20 lb propane tank to the regulator assembly, which is what the Q200 grill was designed for. I had to buy a new hose, but I need one more piece to attach the hose to the regulator.

Here is a picture of the new hose; specifically, the end that connects to the regulator assembly:

http://bit.ly/18zmUmk

As you can see, there appears to be a small valve in the hose that needs to be opened with a pin like the one I lost. Here is what the entrance to my current regulator assembly looks like. It's missing the pin:

http://bit.ly/1fRf4rA

And here's what the replacement regulator assembly looks like. You can see that there is a pin there, which is covered by a plastic yellow safety cap:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0082OLGO0/tvwb-20

Short of buying a whole new assembly, is there a part I can buy to make this whole thing work? I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Andy

well, I can look at mine sunday and see whats up. as long as it wasn't snapped off you could
probably make a pin. but you would need tools etc to be able to make that.
will let you know.

yep, I think you are going to need a new regulator. I looked at mine and the pin as you call it is in two steps. the bigger end goes into the reg housing and then the smaller part is what goes into the hose. I thought I had one but its different. to bad those that have had to replace their reg don't have them anymore.

Thanks for your comments everyone! I agree that safety comes first, and I will probably take your advice. But I'll probably call Weber directly first to ask a bit more about the "pin."

yep, I think you are going to need a new regulator. I looked at mine and the pin as you call it is in two steps. the bigger end goes into the reg housing and then the smaller part is what goes into the hose. I thought I had one but its different. to bad those that have had to replace their reg don't have them anymore.

Was it possible to remove the "pin"? I remember holding it and seeing just what you describe, but it scared me that the pin dislodged so easily from the regulator housing (and the other end got stuck in the camp-sized propane canister). I might call Weber to find out if the replacement housing also has a loose pin or if the pin is more securely attached to the housing. If it's the same pin, I might as well just ask Weber how to get a new one, since a new assembly wouldn't be any safer (the current regulator assembly is in great shape, other than the missing pin). I did some more reading and realized that the grill is designed to either 1) attach directly to a small canister OR 2) attach via the hose to a 20-lb tank. It would be nice if I could keep using it both ways, but I don't want to risk the same situation I was in previously. Regardless, I'm going to ask Weber how such a dangerous thing could have happened with their grill.

Update: I realized that Weber's customer service is open until 10pm CST 7 days a week. How awesome! Very helpful, knowledgeable agent on the phone. He told me the pin isn't sold separately because each one is factory tested to match the regulator assembly. I suspect this could be the case. So, for $25, they're sending a replacement regulator assembly. I should be able to use the grill with both the camping canister and the 20-lb tank.

Thanks again for your help everyone!

Andy

yea, the pin is just pressed in. so for some reason it came loose. could be someone was rather rough in installing the canisters.
yours is the first I've ever heard of.

I got a new regulator for my used Q220 and am glad I did. it even seems to get hotter than the original regulator and as a bonus, it takes both size propane canisters plus the 20# tank and hose assembly! and seems to ignite the first time no matter what propane source I use. I did clean up the spark igniter area also...

Back