Help With Mothers Day

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
As a new WSM owner, I want to do a low and slow cook for mothers day. We are celebrating on the Saturday before so everyone can attend. Since my son-in-law is Jewish, I will need to do a brisket but my daughters will still want pork so a Boston Butt will also be cooked. This will be my first major cook so I have a lot to prove. My first cook with two whole chickens went great. On both the Butt and brisket, I will use a rub, but I don't know if I need to inject. Also, what sides would go with these meets and any recipes for the sides would be great. I don't want my wife or older daughter to do any cooking since they are both mothers. I am thinking of cole slaw as one side but I don't have a good recipe. I loved my grandmothers cole slaw but she has been gone for over 40 years.

I will be doing a test cook of a full brisket and a butt this weekend to get used to the cook.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Some waffle fries and bbq beans would be good too. Have you ever been to Winnetka Illinois?

No but I have heard of it. I have hardly ever been out of California. What is it like?

I would gladly help you test out your test cook!... If you're doing the sides too it may be easier to make some slaw the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Can't go wrong with tater salad and baked beans either.

Corn bread is definitely a good idea. Not sure about baked beans since the good ones tend to have pork in them and that is a problem for my daughters in-laws (Jewish). Since I am doing most of the cooking I want to make it as simple as possible. I am not a mac and cheese fan, but most of my family is. Does anyone have a great recipe for it?

Some easy sides potato salad, ranch style beans, pico de gallo and guacamole with tortilla chips on the side.

sounds like a great day. Just one piece of unsolicited advice. Give yourself plenty of time as butts and brisket can take longer than expected. If you are expecting to eat at 5, plan to be done by 2. you can always wrap in foil then towels and put in a cooler which we keep hot for several hours. The meat will benefit from the rest and you will not be stressed at dinner time. Have fun and good luck!!!!!!

What's their favorite side dished? That's what I would go with, maybe hint around at what they really want for their special day. Getting them to want the same thing may be the problem though.

I know that for my mom I am doing her favorite chocolate melting cake. It isn't a grilling or smoking thing, but she loves it. Still trying to figure out something good to make her for dinner though.

What's their favorite side dished? That's what I would go with, maybe hint around at what they really want for their special day. Getting them to want the same thing may be the problem though.

I know that for my mom I am doing her favorite chocolate melting cake. It isn't a grilling or smoking thing, but she loves it. Still trying to figure out something good to make her for dinner though.

The fun part here is that I am dealing with three generations and two religious background. Now for every event I have to do beef or poultry in addition to pork if pork will be on the menu. For Christmas I was told by my daughters that I had to do ham or else (adult children, what can I say). Since my son-in-law is Jewish I had to make cornish game hens as well. It turned out great but it does add another level of complexity to every event. Then side dishes come into the mix and it is even more fun.

All in all, in the end everyone loves the result. As for finishing the cook a few hours early, that is a great idea. I will do a test cook this weekend to get my feet wet with this level of cooking and also have some good food. Then do it all over for the mothers.

Best of luck to ya! As for cole slaw, there's a great recipe on this website under "side dishes." Have made it 3 times and it's really good. Also, you don't have to put pork in baked beans, there's no law that says you do anyway.

Best of luck to ya! As for cole slaw, there's a great recipe on this website under "side dishes." Have made it 3 times and it's really good. Also, you don't have to put pork in baked beans, there's no law that says you do anyway.

Jimmy you are right, but where would the flavor come from? Just asking!

The flavor comes from the onions, green and red peppers, brown sugar, mustard seed, ketchup, and are you ready? Chopped peaches! Get on it man!

Since you can't put any pork in them, chop up the point and add to them. Make burnt ends with the rest.
My go to recipe is Bourbon BBQ Beans, but it has bacon in it. Never tried it with beef or chicken bacon. Who knows?
Are you wanting a creamy coleslaw or a sweet and sour, made with vinegar? Got both and they are delicious.

Back