Help with Genesis II LX S240 kind of a Unicorn.

Cool.....ya I will be out in the garage tomorrow for round 2 with this beast. I am wondering if I can use a standard Gen II ignitor button ( in place of ) the ( knob light button ) its just a two post button I am sure it does the same thing.
I think we can get it working everything as it was intended tomorrow

These grills have a 10-year warranty on almost every part. They are one of a handful of Weber models to carry this warranty. I know this as I called Weber and they have sent me replacement parts for free, including a new set of knobs. (Regulator, side burner, all gas lines, lid bumpers etc.)

If your grill has not been registered with Weber by a previous owner you are covered. Tell Weber you bought it a few years ago and never knew to register it.
Make sure you call Weber for best results, as opposed to emailing them.

I have a good set of knobs that you can have. Shoot me a DM
I also have a knob light switch you can have, as I installed the updated flush-mounted switch.

There is an updated switch for the knob lights available. It’s flush-mounted and much nicer. You can buy one for cheap.
Weber might even give you one for free.

Last edited:
Yes ....help me understand where both sets of green wires that come off of the back of the knob light button go please. Also is there anyway to fix the auto igniter via knob twist....is this fixed by replacing the starter box with the battery or is the issue most commonly the white starter on the valve bodies?
There are also 2 green wires that don’t go anywhere. I believe Weber probably made one wiring harness and used it for the 2,3, and 4 burner. That may explain the two extra green wires.

Ha! Ya it was supposed to be a fun project. I am sure I can just buy 2 new knobs.....2 new white starter cube things.....and a new knob light button. But thats not what we do here......we fix things here :) But we prefer to work on tried and true simple technology. Here are some pics of the beast.
Btw you need to adjust the manifold (there are slotted mounting holes) so that the gas valves sit centered in the openings of the front control panel. If the knobs are not able to operate correctly and push in fully, the ignitors won't fire. You push the knobs in and turn to the ignitor setting so the ignitors fire.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Gregory you may have solve the main issue. I bought this grill of course second hand so I have never seen it operate correctly. I was sure that the valves should sit dead center in the control panel but just thought since this was a funky lighted knob twist start thing that maybe it was supposed to be off centered. That is a huge clue! So to adjust the manifold I assume it will be the same as all Gen II's just 2 bolts through the box.....usually there isnt much room more adjustment. I do know the previous owner did remove the control panel and was trying to make repairs so now I can assume he may have loosened the manifold bolts or somehow misaligned the manifold. I cant wait to check it out tomorrow.

Btw you need to adjust the manifold (there are slotted mounting holes) so that the gas valves sit centered in the openings of the front control panel. If the knobs are not able to operate correctly, the ignitors won't fire. You push the knobs in and turn to the ignitor setting so the ignitors fire.

I see you said slotted mounting holes......I will look into that tomorrow. Thanks again
You will see the two mounting bolts that hold the manifold assembly onto the frame (not the box). They have slotted holes just for this adjustment. I am guessing that the knobs were not able to push in and someone tried to force turn the knobs and that's why they broke where they mount on the gas valve shaft.

BTW if the manifold can't be aligned correctly, it's possible that the gas box is not mounted correctly into the frame. We can deal with that if that's an issue.

Last edited:
Ok I am familiar with those manifold bolts. And regarding the extra green wire that makes sense.....maybe Weber just made one harness and that harness covered both the 2 burner and the 4 burner. So with the 2 burner you get an extra green wire that goes nowhere. What I really need to understand is if there is anyway to repair the knob ignitors if they arent working properly. That said none of you guys have reported issues with yours. Fingers crossed mine work after a little adjustment.

Jim: I assume these are the wires you are talking about. They are there to hook into an Igrill module if your grill has one. Mine are both connected to nothing.

1729343533429.jpeg

1729343564994.jpeg

Ahhhhhh thanks Bruce. Mine is missing the white tag. That is interesting that it is for the i grill because it both sets of double green wires are coming off of the back of the knob light button. Anyway that solves the green wire problem. Now we are moving onto the knob ignitors. I am still enjoying coffee and marketplace time...but will be out in the garage soon.

Thanks Josh. I think I just need to know if anyone has serviced or repaired the knob twist ignitors. The white boxes attached to the valve body. I dont have confidence that even when I line mine up correctly in the control panel that they will function correctly. I am heading out to the garage now.

Thanks Josh. I think I just need to know if anyone has serviced or repaired the knob twist ignitors. The white boxes attached to the valve body. I dont have confidence that even when I line mine up correctly in the control panel that they will function correctly. I am heading out to the garage now.
If your knobs were not able to be pushed in and turned, then the ignitors won't function. I am hoping after correct alignment that the ignitors work.

Ok I am familiar with those manifold bolts. And regarding the extra green wire that makes sense.....maybe Weber just made one harness and that harness covered both the 2 burner and the 4 burner. So with the 2 burner you get an extra green wire that goes nowhere. What I really need to understand is if there is anyway to repair the knob ignitors if they arent working properly. That said none of you guys have reported issues with yours. Fingers crossed mine work after a little adjustment.
I have had no issues with my ignitors.

Ok its time for an update. It was a long day for Weber man. I sold my Green Genesis 320 front control today with TREX Decking bottom cabinet shelf, cover, and empty tank, plus delivery $450. Thats a lot of grill for $450 in my humble opinion. I marketed the grill for $399 then got the add ons. As for the LX 240 you guys were friggin awesome with all of your replies. I got out in the garage and started working down the list.
1. Adjusted the manifold height to center the knob shafts in the control panel
2. Tried a starter button in place of the knob light button and it worked correctly. So then with the knob light button I used electronics spray cleaner on the spade connectors and a little wire brushing to get the invisible oxidation removed then applied a very thin coat of dielectric grease to the posts and used the original knob light switch and low and behold the sucker worked!
3. I had a new starter box in stock so I thought it couldn't hurt to try it. Installed the new starter box and plugged the wires in. Turned the valve knobs and mr click click click came to town!!!!!! So it was a bad starter causing the auto start issues....go figure right :) .
4. I was looking at the broken knobs and noticed that these knobs have a depth limiter stop in them to help with the push in factor. I was going to use Gen 300 series knobs to save a few bucks but they are hollow through the shafts w no stop in the hole. So I went through my knob tub......I assume u guys have knob tubs too :) and found 2 old school knobs from a 1000 or a Silver B and they had stops in them. Sure they looked ridiculous on the grill but I wanted to see how these auto starters work. So I pushed in and turned while simultaneously getting mr click click click and turning and wahlaaaa!!!! Cave man make fire!!! Me like fire!!!!!

So now the ole gal is good to go I just need to order two new knobs and advertise this gorgeous grill on Marketplace. I really appreciate all of your replies and efforts. I love the TVWBB community.

Attachments

• 20241019_133754.jpg
    20241019_133754.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20241019_133912.jpg
    20241019_133912.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20241019_133900.jpg
    20241019_133900.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20241016_183204.jpg
    20241016_183204.jpg